Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Razzle
Senior Contributor

Child sexual abuse - I’m struggling

Hi everyone, I’m new here.

My thoughts are a little scrambled at the moment, I hope I make sense and don’t come across too confusing.

I have kept a lid on my past experiences for almost 40 years, pretty much ignoring every thing that has happened, but this year my past has seriously affected my day to day living.

My story starts at age 8.  I was sexually assaulted by a group of 4 boys.  One of these boys got to me a couple of  weeks later and did it again.  I was too young to understand what had happened, I didn’t even have a word for it back then.  I never told a soul.  

When I was 10 I was holidaying with my family and some friends of the family.  The oldest son of our family friends used to do stuff to me that made me uncomfortable in the pool.  When I saw him near the pool I used to get out but sometimes he would be in the water before I noticed him there.  When we got home from holidays I was with a group of friends, this boy was also there, and we were playing inside an old abandoned water tower.  As the group left I found myself alone with him and I was sexually assaulted, although the details are a little sketchy.  This was the first time I “stepped out”.  I remember I was in a boat on a lake, I felt very warm and calm.  I looked around and I was totally surrounded by water, but I felt very safe.  When I became aware of myself again I was on the train tracks walking away from the water tower.  I had thongs on and I was in the middle of a bindii patch and the prickles were sticking into my feet.  This boy was the son of my mums best friend and once again I never told a soul.

My mum was a cub leader when I was a child and the assistant cub leaders father in law moved out from America and lived in a granny flat out the back of their house.  This man along with the rest of the family became great friends with my family.  He only had 2 grandsons and I became his “adopted” grand daughter.  His family ran a business and had a holiday house on the coast that they used to go to at least once a month, the old man never used to go though.  This was his time to carry out his sexual abuse that lasted for about 12 months.  I was 11 when he started.  He continually threatened to end my parents life if I ever told anyone.  My parents thought I was just going to his flat to have lunch with him, they never knew of the abuse.  It got so bad and I couldn’t see an end to the abuse, I thought my only option (in my 12yo brain) was to get rid of him.  I made a plan to use something from the kitchen, I had even planned where I could hide a change of clothes in a vacant block on the way to his house in case I needed to change.  As it turned out, I found out that the family had bought a business in another town around 300kms away and they were leaving.  I decided to just wait it out.  At the time, for me I could see the end coming, for him he was running out of time so he ramped things up A LOT.  Not that I understood back then but now I know that I was never given enough time to fully recover from injuries before it all happened again.

During my abuse with this man, I began “stepping out” again, particularly when he got violent.  Just as the pain got bad I would find myself in the boat, only becoming aware of myself when I was outside the flat walking home, when my brain decided it was safe enough to come back.  I couldn’t actually stop myself going to the boat, unfortunately I couldn’t make myself go there either, so there is a lot of terrible stuff I do remember during my time with this man.

I tried to commit suicide when I was 18, and again at 20 - 1 month before I met the person who would later become my husband.  I told him a little about the abuse but not everything, no names or any real detail.  I had a bit of an issue with drugs as a teenager, but that all stopped before it became a real problem.

My husband and I went on to have 3 children (something I thought would have been impossible) but we lost our middle child in a car accident when he was 9yo.  There was an occasion in the following months when things were so terrible I “stepped out” again, that’s the last time it has ever happened. That was 12 years ago.

Last year my father died, it all happened very fast, he was diagnosed with cancer and 6 days later he died.  Hours before he died I had a huge falling out with my sister in law.  That night I confided in my husband about what had happened and he sided with her.  We have been in marriage counselling since the end of last year.  It was during this counselling that I started getting terrible anxiety and my past started to bubble to the surface, our councillor now sees me weekly on my own to help sort through all the abuse.  It’s been pretty brutal going over all the past events while also watching my marriage disintegrate.  Add to this my 19yo son came home a month ago to tell us he and his girlfriend are expecting a baby.  My mother has dementia which is progressing rapidly and I am pretty much her carer as well at the moment.

Everything became too much a few weeks ago and I wanted to end my life, I didn’t go through with it but every day is a huge struggle at the moment.  My anxiety is crippling at times, I cry myself to sleep most nights.  I swing from being highly emotional to feeling absolutely hollow and empty.  I can’t get my thoughts straight and I can’t see it ever getting better.  Is there a light at the end of the tunnel or is this how it’s going to be forever?  I don’t know how much more I can take.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Child sexual abuse - I’m struggling

Hi @Razzle,

I have seen you posting around the forums recently, my name is Lauz and I am one of the Community Managers here. It's really great to have you join and get involved in the forums. It takes a lot of strength and courage to reach out (as I tell many members here!) 

I am so sorry to hear about such a long history of sexual abuse and traumatic experiences. I can imagine it wasn't easy to share here but I hope you felt some sense of relief to get it out. Its good that you have slowly been sharing and that you let your husband know.

It sounds positive that you are going to marriage counselling with your husband, hopefully as you share with him more, he can better support you too. Have you ever accessed some counselling for just yourself to try to work through some of these challenging feelings? 

It sounds like you may be having quite a hard time currently coping - so I thought I would also just drop in some really useful helplines (they can help refer you to a good counselling service too) 

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling

Samaritans: 135 247

beyondblue: 1300 22 4636 

SANE Australia: 1800 187 263 or online webchat

There are a lot of members here who have travelled through awful trauma and have worked through each day and what recovery looks like to them. I hope you find some supportive connections here @Razzle 😊

@Lauz  Thankyou for your response.  I have been seeing my marriage councillor on my own for the sexual abuse.  It has been extremely difficult to talk about the last assault, but in the last couple of weeks we have had a bit of a break through.  

I’m still having problems with anxiety and panic attacks.  My councillor has given me some coping strategies, particularly when they hit in public places.

There are still a lot of issues regarding my marriage but now that my husband knows all the details of what happened to me 40 years ago, he has changed and has started to be more supportive, time will tell I guess.

I have “met” quite a few people here on the forums, it’s nice to know there are others that can offer support and advice having shared similar experiences, I don’t feel so alone anymore.  

This site has been very helpful in my recovery.

Hi @Razzle

I know we’ve chatted before. Reading your post is really sad and traumatic for you. I’m really sorry you went through all this at such a young age. Nit sure if you remember but I was sexually abused at age 9-12 by 3 guys at different times. 

Its good you are seeing a marriage counsellor. 

How do you get through this? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

i get through day by day sometimes hour by hour. It’s very difficult. I’m still nit sure if there a light at the end of the tunnel. But I guess eith therapy snd neducation this can help. 

Take care @Lauz xx

@BlueBay  Yes, I do remeber your story.  It’s so unfair that something like this can happen to innocent children, it skews everything for the rest of our lives, something I’m only realising  now. 

All I want is to feel “normal”, I’m not sure normal even exists anymore.  So much has happened in the last 18months  and everything seems to be crashing down around me.

I used to be the strong one, keeping everything together for everyone else, but that’s all gone.  I can barely hold myself together, I’m completely useless to anyone else.

Im still searching for the light at the end of the tunnel, even though I had a bit of a breakthrough with my councillor a week or 2 ago, I kind of feel in limbo now.  This is a terrible place to be, but I keep hanging onto the words my councillor keeps telling me - things will get better

@Razzle you sound so much like me. 

I used to keep my family together with family get together. But now it’s sll gone. Snd sometimes I blame myself for “coming out” with my trauma. My psych snd psychologist say the same “you will get better” but my head keeps saying “when I’ve hsd enough “

take care @Razzle xx

@BlueBay  You are far stronger than I am, I have never come out to my family, only my husband knows.  All of the abusers are known to my family and husband (although my husband has never been told their identities).  This isn’t to protect the abusers, it is to protect me, I know I could never stand in court and face them.

It is so hard to see a bright future when it’s such a dark place now.  Just when I think things might be ok, something else goes wrong.  The problem might not even be that big, but it feels huge to me.  

Please take care of yourself too ❤️❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.