Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Phoenix_Rising
Senior Contributor

Doing the shrinky thing

Hi @Adge,

I'm starting a thread about how to shrink photos. I'm not actually sure how to explain this, I just really wanted to start a thread called "doing the shrinky thing" to go with the "doing the linky thing" thread. Smiley LOL

I don't know how to play around with photos on my phone - I always upload them to my laptop first. What sort of device are you looking to shrink photos on?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Doing the shrinky thing

Probably with my desktop computer @Phoenix_Rising

Although I have to transfer the photos onto there first (with a cable) - it has more menu options (for forum), & is much easier to use than the Samsung phone.

I find doing posts on the phone is very fiddly, & takes me much longer to do.

I've tried many times to upload photos to post on site, because people asked to see them.

I couldn't do it, because I just couldn't get them to fit - so the site rejected them almost every time.

Adge

@Phoenix_Rising

I usually use the windows clipping tool on my laptop and save a jpg file from that. I even cheat doing that when pasting stuff into reports and ppt presentations at uni. (Basically a copy paste function). 

I used to have a work copy of photoshop which was great but outside of my budget now unfortunately. 

I take screenshots of photos before I upload them which works to shrink them (almost every time).

I use my phone for foruming also almost every time @Adge and find it can be fiddly, epsecially with tags, photos and links. Most of the time, if I am adding a photo or link, I write my post in email then copy and paste it via desktop mode on my phone which saves some mucking about, except I can't tag without the drop down tag that way. I'm used to it now but it does still get me a bit grrr sometimes.

From my tablet I do a screen shot crop and save.
Works the same and significantly reduces file sizes. 😊

Yes I've done the crop & save (croppy) thing too.

A few times I did manage to get the photo small enough to attach - but it lost a lot of border (perimeter) detail.

Other times, I still couldn't get it small enough to attach.

Adge

Hi @Adge,

Have we solved this puzzle yet? I was thinking of you last week when I was away, because I had my baby laptop with me rather than the one I normally use for Forum-ing, and I had a world of trouble shrinking photos. 

Adge, on my regular laptop, I use office to shrink photos. I can't actually find what the particular office program is called (I'm sure someone will know). It seems to tell me it's just "microsoft office 2010". Anyway, this is what I do:

• Open the photo with microsoft office 2010
  • Click on "edit pictures" which is at the top of the screen.
  • This opens a panel at the side with a whole lot of options. Here I click on "Resize"
  • There is a bit that says "predefined width x height" and there is a drop-down menu where you can choose what size you want. I normally choose the first one (document - large).
  • Click ok
  • Save the re-sized picture either under the same name (i.e. just hit save) or a new name if you want to also keep a copy of the picture at its original size. 

I hope that helps, Adge. Smiley Happy

Thanks @Phoenix_Rising I may not get to try that for some time.

No I had not yet solved the problem.

I tried many things that forum people suggested (they didn't work for me).

I do have Office on my home computer.

Your instructions seem like the clearest that anyone has suggested so far.

So as long as I can figure out which Office program does that - I should be able to use it (to do it).

Excellent! There may yet be light at the end of that long dark tunnel...

Unless they turn that light off, to save on electricity costs...

AdgeSmiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.