cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Hillsgal
New Contributor

Climate change anxiety

So I have lived experience of two big fires - Roleystone and Yarloop. I now find myself working in Emergency services . 

Everything I read, no matter who the author- unis, think tanks, scientists, governments , individuals - whoever , they all agree that we have reached tipping point and our natural disasters are going to increase, compound and esculate.

The feelings of anger at Government inaction , helplessness and anxiety of what this means for us all and vulnerable people is overwhelming at times. ITs almost becoming on par with what I imagine was the PTSD of the post war years was like for many.

How many more catstrphopic fire weather events and peoples lively hood have to be destroyed before the government stops spinning and takes action?

I take regular breaks from media and it all, but its hard not to see every single element in the world around me through the filter of climate change.

I hold tight to the promises that individuals, businesses and industry are making to step up and be the change even if the gov wont. I have huge optimisim in our young people being the agents of change and I will take steps myself to minimise my impact on the environment. These little actions give me hope and allieviate the anxiety , just a little! Id love to hear what others are thinking/coping.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Climate change anxiety

I also experience stress, anxiety and anger around our governments inaction when it comes to climate change and preventing future natural disasters @Hillsgal. I find it increasingly frustrating as so many people (in my experience) want the government to start implementing changes to help reduce the impact on the envrionment however, the government is doing very little. It definitely gets me down at times.

I also take social media/news breaks when I need as I can find it all a bit overwhelming some times.

I tend to just do what I can to make changes in my life to reduce my impact on the environment as much as possible but I understand this is difficult for some. I also talk to people like my friends and psychologist about my frustrations which can help me get it out of my system at times. 

Its a bit of a scary time to be living and I hope for everyone's sake that we start to see our government take action and real change happening. 

I hope you're able to find some additional ways to help alleviate your anxiety surrounding this.

Thank you for all your work in emergency services as well - its such important work!!
Take care, CalmingNature Heart

@Hillsgal 

It would be hard to have lived through the fires.  Good on you for joinging Emergency Services.  Takes Courage. I have been lucky not to endure the fires close up, but this week I watched a couple of the shows that were on abciview, becasue I wanted to remember and share about it in my general conversations as the summer approaches. 

I know @Shaz51 and I think @HenryX  may have some experience of bush fires.

I have always been environmental, careful about my footprint and quietly trying to educate and take action. Before it became a course in the unis, I did old fashioned Geology and Earth Science way back in the early 80s.  I am not impressed by the Federal govt take on it, although I have seen lots of ground roots awareness, change and believe the best way to deal with anxiety is to harness the energy into action and change. 

40 years later the world govts really do need to make better policies and face facts, but best not to stoke fear about it or even blame.  Many people from earlier generations were very frugal and did not waste even if they used briquettes or coal or wood.  Bringing living conditions for all human up to a level of adequacy seems a good idea to me, however the world has been bitten by the Capitalist bug as far as I can see and that pandemic is a big problem too. Many current practices still  contribute to warming and one cooler summer does not mean the extreme weather events are not a reality. 

Eg I have struggled to convince a pathologist that it was a genuine issue, she was so sure of her own discipline and medical snobbery blinded her to looking at the science but going with what felt comfortable for her.  She did not want to know.

Before Covid I was involved in the XR Spring Rebellion and that helped me to see so many people passionate about it.  Doomsday scenarios are not wise to focus uponm but have often been a human fear.  Talk about it and take action within your own sphere of influence.

Heart

@CalmingNature 

Heart

To echo the sentiments of @CalmingNature and @Appleblossom, thank you for the work you do. 

I share your thoughts and anxiety around this, and anticipate that as the years roll on that numbers of people reaching out to support services for help with climate anxiety will reflect all that you've posted. I too feel great hope in our younger generation who seem to be stepping up to the plate and demanding action on climate change. 

I really like @Appleblossom's advice about doing what we can in our own sphere of influence – having these discussions, taking part in action around climate change and keeping these conversations top of mind are all really important groudswell steps we can take. 

Thank you for starting this conversation here @Hillsgal. As we move into what is likely to be another fire season around the country, I think this space is invaluble for many in our community.

@Hillsgal Hope you are alright.  WA are struggling with fire already this year.  Not sure where you are.  Keep doing the right thing.

Heart

@CalmingNature @Rhye 

Smiley Happy

I almost wonder if the pandemic has partly been used to distract from the necessities of taking climate issues seriously.

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources:

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.