Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BronH
Senior Contributor

Any suggestion for socializing

Hi, I've just got kicked out of another 'meet up' group because although I am independent of my psychiatrist, i still have underlying bipolar and if I'm not careful can still be seen as a child. I am recently retired, 62 and have been relying on 'meet up' groups for company. Without them I am very socially isolated and become very depressed.

Does anyone have any other ideas about where to seek company?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Any suggestion for socializing

Hi @BronH, welcome to the forum.

I have bipolar and also become very depressed without company. One of the things I have been doing over the past few years is participate in activities run by a local mental health organisation in the community. I've been part of groups focussed on craft, cooking, hydrotherapy, a kind of easy outdoor games group, xmas celebrations, womens groups, and now mainly I attend art group. I find this place and its activities so beneficial to my wellbeing. Even though I've not made close friends there, it is so nice to spend time with other people who know what it is to struggle with mental health. Far less judgemental, much more understanding.

I wonder if there might be something similar in your area. If you are interested in this, I would suggest doing Google searches to see if there's anything around.

Hoping you find some more companionship soon.

In the meantime, this forum provides social connection to many of us who are isolated in various ways. You are most welcome to continue to post and get to know people here. 

Wishing you well. Maz

@BronH Hi BronH and welcome to the forums I like @Mazarita have bipolar (and schizoaffeve disorder) and yes it can be very isolating but never give up you are not alone. Maz is right these forums are a great way to talk with people with mi who are all very welcoming and understanding of your situation (we have all been there). There are many different threads if you want to take a look example the chat rooms and good morning threads to the more serious threads.

I hope to see you around the forums. green pea 🙂

Thanks for your reply Maz. It's full of good suggestions

Thanks green pea. I will have a good look around the different threads
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.