Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NicK
Contributor

How to ask work for reduced hours

I recently started a new job and while I only work part time, it's spread across 5 days, which really gets to me and I find myself exhausted by day 4. I want to ask my manager for a reduction in hours or to work longer shifts in fewer days. There are two reasons I want to do this, the first is because financially, I am stressed, and the second reason is due to my mental health.

I work 20-30hrs at a very popular coffee shop, that I have to drive 20-30mins to and pay for parking every week. Public transport is not an option for this work place. 

Lately, I've just started to feel like its way too much effort for a 5hr shift and minimum wage. I haven't been able to save at all, especially with fuel prices rocketing. I spend atleast $100/week on fuel, and I really only ever use my car to get to work and back, and I pay for parking on top of that. So just imagine when I actually have errands to run or events I need to drive to. If it was possible to catch public transport, I absolutely would, but for this particular place it isnt. Is it appropriate to bring this up when asking for the reduced hours?

Now, as for my mental health, well although I only work part time I always find myself exhausted by day 4. I work up to 30hrs and the rest of the week I'm either at uni or studying at home. Oh and don't get me started on the early mornings. Sometimes at work when its just been so overwhelming, I wait for the coffee shop to quieten down and then I duck off to the bathrooms for a solid 10mins of alone time. 

The gossipy staff doesn't help either. I'm still fairly new but if I make a mistake or if I duck off to the toilet more than once, I can feel all the gossip focussed on me. 

Amyways, I just wanted to come on hear to vent and also to ask if anyone has any experience or tips on how to go about asking for reduced hours or longer shifts in fewer days. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to ask work for reduced hours

@NicK Hi NicK hmmm ... that is a difficult one being the new kid on the block. I personally would not approach the manager just yet until I have done some ground work. Maybe one of the other members of staff would like to swap a shift? That would solve the problem then again being new it is not something that you can just come out with without word getting around and you don't want that.

I would try and hang on a bit longer give it at least a few months before I did anything and always have a back up plan (another job to go to) if the answer is no. I hope this helps a bit. greenpea

Re: How to ask work for reduced hours

Hi @NicK,

That's a huge load you are carrying. No wonder you are feeling exhausted. You're a star doing that much. You've shown so much strength already but of course there is only so much any of us can take.

With the experience you've build up, I imagine it shouldn't be too hard getting a job closer to home with better public transport. Whatever you do, plan it in advance. I imagine with Uni finishing soon it would take the pressure off a little yeah. But whatever you decide, you're mental health comes first.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.