Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NicK
Contributor

Reccommendations for GP and Counsellor in Brisbane Eastern Suburbs

Hi, 

I've just moved closer to the city, atleast an hour away from my family home and am nervous about seeing new doctors. 

I love my GP in my old suburb and my counsellor there, but it's just impractical to be driving there every week for appointments. 

I'm really nervous about seeing a new GP that's just down the road from my new place. It feels awkward having to open up again to a new person, a stranger really, just for a refferal, but it is important. 

Does anyone have any advice on findind the right GP for yourself? or building up the courage to trust a new GP all over again? Or can anyoen reccommend a GP in the general area (Brisbane Eastern Suburbs)?

I'm sitting here reading google reviews of every single Clinic in my area. 

Wish me luck!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Reccommendations for GP and Counsellor in Brisbane Eastern Suburbs

Hi NicK – Trying to find a new trusted and good health professional after having a great connection with one for so long in your old home area is pretty challenging! Lots of concerns and questions come up for people, so I hope that some of our lovely forum members can help

In terms of specific recommendations we can’t make suggestions on the forums, as this is such a personal and different experience for everyone. But I do suggest reaching out to the SANE Help Centre for some guidance.

Another suggestion is just keep doing what you’re doing: looking around the local area, and even asking these clinics if there is anyone who understands the needs that you have they (e.g. mental health experience, or other type of focus…). Starting a conversation can often bring up

@NicK
Ask if your old gp can send your medical records through to the new doctor or maybe even an introductory letter giving a brief outline of your health - physical and mental - etc.

Hi @NicK 

Good luck in your search in finding a new gp and support services. Change can be tricky and hard. Hope your able to find someone soon

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.