Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Mulgajane
Senior Contributor

Things I have learnt to do when I’m heading towards a crisis.

1.  Get outside and move my body. If I don’t move my body - everything gets stuck in my head.

2.  Default all thoughts to today (no thinking about the past or future). I can’t stop my thoughts, but I can keep reminding myself to think about today - over and over again like moving the arm back to the start on an old fashioned record player.

3.  Hand it over. Everything that I cannot control (and that is nearly everything) I throw it out to the Universe and say ‘Here - you take this.’ 

4.  Touch. Get a hug. Lie in somebody’s arms. Stroke the cat. Lie on the ground with dogs in the sunshine. Lie on the Earth. Walk the beach with barefeet. Hug a tree. Have a bath.

5.  Stop pretending to other people I can cope. Tell the truth. Break down crying.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Things I have learnt to do when I’m heading towards a crisis.

Hi @Mulgajane. I love these ideas and really appreciated reading them this morning, especially the "default all thoughts to today". I've been up for hours stressing over something that is happening in a few days. I could feel myself getting really worked up and trapped thinking about something that I can't stop, change, put off, make better and that I really don't need to be thinking about now. Trying to bring myself back to today and what today has in it, could definitely be helpful.

I find it can be hard to remember what helps and what to do when I'm stuck with increasingly intense thoughts and feelings and heading into crisis mode. Curious to know whether you have these written down (aside from here) or in a 'plan' in a way?

Great question @CheerBear

I too forget what to do much of the time. Some of the things I know well such as 'go outside and move my body'. I will always think of that and years of experience has taught me to try and drag myself outside even if I am behaving like a spoilt brat or feeling lazy.

Because I love to write, I have written lists many times though I would have trouble finding them because I am a messy person. But the act of writing them down helps solidify the information in my brain.

The 'thinking only of today' and the 'handing it over' I learnt in AA and we are constantly reminded evertime we go to a meeting, so I spent about 3 years practicing those ones and they are now second nature to me.

As for touching, I think I am always in need of touch and I probably don't need reminding of that, but I did have to learn not to always expect it from people. Dogs and cats have taught me a lot about how a little touch goes a long way.

As for admitting I am not coping, this one is definately a work in progress. I upset my dear girlfriend a few weeks ago when I tried to hide my condition and ended up winding myself into a bit of an episode. It's dangerous for me to keep it all inside.

So initially it took peer support (AA) to constantly remind me because my brain was very sick but now I remind myself and get involved with helping other people which reminds me too. Plus there is this awesome forum where we exchange ideas! 🙂

Thanks for sharing @Mulgajane. Reading your post above made me think about how practicing the things that work can really help by making them second nature or automatic in a way.

It's great to hear you have and do lots of helpful things when you're starting to struggle. Thanks again ☺

Some great, proactive strategies @Mulgajane!!

Hi @Mulgajane, thanks for your suggestions:

1.   I attempt to get out of the house every day, to walk and stretch my legs and to chat to people, either at the shops or at the bus stop.  Talking with other people helps me ignore the chatter in my head and I can focus on someone else for a while.

2.  So difficult to remain in the present, but so important.

3.  Letting go of responsibility.  I cannot change the world nor what is going to happen

4.  I really miss touching someone special. But I do snuggle with my dog and I love being out in nature where I can touch and breathe and just ground myself.

5.  Admitting to others that I am not coping.  

Great thread @Mulgajane I love your ideas. Hi @CheerBear @NatalieS

It has taken me a long time to take notice of signs that I am heading towards a crisis.

I get stuck and exhausted trying harder and harder to keep going on my usual track. Instead I need to:

Take a step back

Rest

Plan

I read that an antidote to fight/flight is pause/plan.

Yes @frog

pausing helps me especially - that's another thing i have learnt through the natural world.

I am always being told to do it by therapists and books but I seem to learn better by observation rather than just being advised.

Same here my main one that originally bought me issues was pretending I was okay to everyone.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.