Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Whiteknight
Senior Contributor

Time to move on

Hi all,

I joined this great forum many months ago after 4 years as a peer advisor on another MH forum.

What has changed in me recently is that through my 6000 posts previously and many here to, I feel emotionally matured and that means the next step is to move on, leave this forum and try to lead a life without MH topics as part of my daily life.

It doesnt mean I'm 100%, nor less fragile but it does mean I've made sufficient progress with my mental well being that I can live my life without delving into the complexities of mental illness.

I'm writing this so you can hopefully, one day, recognize your own progress in a similar way. It is certainly something I'd recommend because mental illness feels like a state of mind that will never reach that point.

"That point" your aim, is a state whereby you are reasonably stable in life and to give stability to your loved ones. Where, finally your mental illness is second or third on your list of priorities. 

Never give up on yourself. When you say that to yourself all the time it sinks in. Be proud that you try hard even when you dont succeed, try again...and again. The mental mountain is a tall one.

My last comment is this one. An old lady 30 years ago pushed a shopping trolley along a laneway in Melbourne when she fell over. All her items spilled onto the bluestones. I helped her pick them up. Among them was a birthday card. I asked her who's birthday it was. "It's my birthday" she answered. As I walked her back to her flat I learned that she was 94yo and indeed she had purchased herself her own birthday card as she had no family. Her small flat was filled with statues of Jesus, Mary and churches.

She had no family but as I found...she was not alone. She held her faith.

I'm an atheist. My faith is in myself. Whatever your faith is, hold it close and never let it go.

Whiteknight

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Time to move on

well done @Whiteknight it shows how hard youve worked for your recovery and i wish you well on the rest of your journey

Thank you @Whiteknight for your many insightful posts. And congratulations on making so much progress with your recovery.

All the best,

Jupiter

Thank you @Whiteknight for being you. Your insightful posts and firm thinking that recovery is achievable helps us to gain that faith in ourselves. Good luck in furthering your recovery journey! 

All the best,

Q

Hi @Whiteknight

I’m so pleased that you’ve made such progress that you feel you don’t need to stsy on here. Well done. 

I will miss you. Thankyou for chatting with me at the other mental health forum.  Thsnkyou for chatting and supporting me when needed. I always loved reading your posts. 

Thsnkyou fir your participation on this forum. You’ve given great tips suggestions and support. 

I wish you and your wife all the very best for the future. 

Wishing you great health. 

Tske care my friend

BB. ❤️❤️

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Whiteknight.  I only just came across this post of yours from nearly 2 months ago.  Sorry I missed it at the time of posting. I'm not even sure you'll get this message now, though I hope you will.  But I wanted to thank you for your contributions to both forums you've been involved in, and for your support over the years to so many people.

I wish you, your wife and little dog Rosy (I think I got that right) all the very best in life.  May you have safe travels and a healthy and happy Christmas and a wonderful new year ahead.

Sherry Heart

What a shame you only saw this post niw @Former-Member. @Whiteknight Was a great guy who gave some amazing advice. A very caring man. Miss him too. 

Hope you are ok? I don’t know which one is your post. I would love to chat with you every now and then.

take care @Former-Member xx

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes @BlueBay, I agree with you, a very caring man.  And I'm sorry too that I missed this. I think it was during a time I was not very active here, dealing with more than I could handle at the time I think. Interestingly I believe whiteknight has now returned as a mentor to the 'other' forum. At least he continues to do something he is very good at.

I've just started to spend a little more time back on the forums. I kind of lost touch with many, while I retreated somewhat over the past couple of months.  I have a thread in the Lived Experience forum and also one in the Carers forum.  I tend to fluctuate between sufferer and carer, but seem unable to concentrate on both at the same time.  Its either them or me.  Lately its been 'them' (husband, parents, brother), as my own MH takes a back seat.  It takes a toll however, and I need to start concentrating more on me again, otherwise I wont be a very good carer for anyone else. 

Please tag me into your thread the next time you're there, and I will try to remember to tag you when I'm in mine. I hope you're doing okay and you too take care.  

Sherry Heart

Ok no worries I will tsg you  ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.