Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Rosie
Senior Contributor

Antipsychotics and weight gain

Hello all

It's been a while since I last posted. I was trying to find a support group and never found one... I wrote away to places but didn't pursue it. No one got back to me and I didn't push for it with my mental health team. I've also been moving towns with work for the last few years and never really have put any roots down.

Since my last post I have been very well, thank goodness. I changed my medication and it has proven to be excellent for me. I feel better than the last one I persevered with for SEVEN years, thinking it was the one and only thing I could do for my schizophrenia. Unfortunately I began a weight loss regime and thought I could lower the dosage of my old meds --- resulting in an horrific psychosis that I wince at looking back on. I was delusional and treatment resistant and pushed all my support networks away thinking they were 'evil'. All the while, fabulously thin!

I finally got to the worst point possible (and into massive debt) and got some help. We tried a new medication which has worked wonders for me. I am on a high dosage and I am able to work, exercise, maintain all my relationships and feel good about life (I even paid off my debt - with a lot of work). I am very aware and fearful of my early warning signs this time, as I don't want that awful psychosis again! I have moved to yet another new town and found (after many attempts) a good GP and rang the access line for mental health and got into the system. I am super prepared for anything to go wrong - and awfully scared.

The new medication allows me more energy than the old one, and I am able to exercise and feel motivated on this one. It might be that I have quit drinking too, that there is that change in my energy levels. I jog 4 out of 5 mornings and I walk my dogs in the afternoon. I eat relatively well, some of my portion sizes are a bit big, but well-rounded in fruit and veg and I would say healthy, I don't eat 'junk' food, a bit of chocolate. The only thing is, since starting the new medication a year ago, I have gained a lot of weight.

I was pretty slim when I began the new meds, and my diet was "keto" (which I am not sure is good for you), but I just can't fathom how I have put on more weight than I ever imagined, or been heavier than I have ever been, even when not exercising on my old meds, and I just won't plateau. The scales keep growing. I can't stop it.  So I try exercising more and cutting the food down a bit, but it always comes back.

Can anyone help? I have made appointments with GP and psychiatrist in the next few weeks and I intend on making a food journal starting Monday. I am getting my bloods done and doing all the right things, but I am wondering if there are any therapies I can try or ask about in the upcoming appointments? What has worked for you? Has this happened to you? Can I get good quality help anywhere I don't know about?

Thanks everyone!

Rosie 🙂 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Antipsychotics and weight gain

Am in same boat re up not down and amount.
Only things I can think of is not smoking and not moving enough
Asked drs they gave me months worth of very expensive meds, and I put in weight with them. Think its hormones. Sorry dont have any answers @Rosie

@Rosie  Hey Rosie this is a huge problem for many of us on anti psychotics. I have put on a stack of weight but now I have come to terms with it. I figure it is better to be a bit overweight or ever alot than unstable. When I am unstable I get myself into heaps of trouble and am miserable to boot..... whereas when I am stable I am so much 'happier' even though overweight. It is like a choice pick your poison ..... all I know is if I am not properly medicated like I said I can get into trouble with authorities due to my illness whereas if I take my prescribed meds I am calmer and can have some sort of life again. I hope I have helped a bit. greenpeax

Thank you @greenpea it's true. 

Thank you @TAB 

Tricky huh. Smiley Happy

Hi Rosie,

I am fairly new to the world of mental health challenges and also this is my first time in a forum but my 15yo daughter has recently been put on antipsychotic medication. I only wanted to share with you, the one thing that stood out as a mum to me was that I was told by numerous psychiatrist/medical staff that she would possibly have side effects of weight gain but it wasn't till I went to our chemist who is amazing and thorough, that she explained the risk of weight gain is not in the drug itself but the fact that it "turns off" the ability for the brain to feel full so it is more the fact of overeating than the actual medication causing weight gain.

It may just be an avenue for you to do a bit more research in, it must be such a challenge for you to find a balance in what makes you feel healthy wholistically, fix one problem yet create another, but I believe information is power.

Worth considering finding the explanation as to why these medications cause weight gain to help find a solution but I know that is easier said than done.

I hope this may be of some small help...it seems like you are doing an amazing job in trying to find a solution and being proactive in your own strategy.

@Rosie - good on you! It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Some hospitals do a program called 'keeping the body in mind' which you might find helpful.

@Rosie good on you for doing all the right things! I am on an antipsych too and had some success with a food journal and weekly weigh in but I'm still quite a bit above my pre-medicated weight. I haven't done this myself, but I suspect a referral to a dietitian or nutritionist could help. @greenpea agree about pick your poison!

Thank you @AmandaJ , I will look into that more. You have made me think and led me in a good direction. I'm appreciative.

Smiley Happy

actually think might be having a break through with weight after mixing things up a bit and exercising more, might have woken my metabolism up  . @Rosie  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.