Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Faith-and-Hope
Community Guide

BOOK CLUB: Let’s Talk Brene Brown

83B19386-3D0E-453B-BFE4-C2BE1739F5B7.jpeg

Hi everyone .....

This is the Brene Brown book I am reading at the moment.  Someone introduced me to Brene’s (Brenay) Ted talks last year .... and I love her work ..... although my muddle has placed me where it’s hard to focus on reading ..... much easier to watch .....

@CheerBear @Teej @Maggie @Phoenix_Rising @mudsum @Former-Member @Former-Member @Sans911 @Former-Member ..... and anyone else interested .....

Brene is all about vulnerability, and that is so personally challenging that I don’t want to presume on anybody, and have just tagged those of you who seem to have already shown an interest.

47 REPLIES 47

Re: BOOK CLUB: Let’s Talk Brene Brown

@Faith-and-Hope I have been trying to read that exact book for a few months now (FC Smiley Surprised)

I really want to read it but my attention span and concentration level has basically been zero - along with the headaches and blurred vision it has made it nearly impossible to read anything! It has been really frustrating for me as I used to read everyday! 

Have just order her latest book also to read along with @CheerBear (when/if I am able to).

Look forward to updates here even if I am unable to read myself for now Smiley Happy

IMG_3886.JPG

Re: BOOK CLUB: The body keeps the score

Hey @Faith-and-Hope. I love your idea of keeping the books together (yep I like things connected) in a book club thread but I just realised the difficult thing is that it doesn't show up as a different book. If you go looking for it you only find the body keeps the score book. It's hard to remember where this one started. I'm wondering if we possibly get @NikNik to restart this thread on it's own. The good thing if you keep the title the same is that members will get the idea we have a few books we share from time to time. I hope this is ok. I just got confused looking for it. 💜🤗💐

Hi @Teej ..... I was tempted to start another thread called ....

BOOK CLUB - Let’s Talk Brene Brown

...... instead of just tagging along on this thread.  What you have just said supports that idea entirely.  Let’s do it ..... ❣️

@NikNik can you please re-launch this discussion under the title above in its own thread ?

💜🤗😘 @Faith-and-Hope

Thank you for organising this thread, @Faith-and-Hope. (I’m sorry if you felt like you had to. 🙁)

I have ordered The Gifts of Imperfection, which should be arriving fairly soon. I was first introduced to Brené Brown a couple of years ago by my psychologist, who made me watch Brené's TED talk on vulnerability. I’m glad she did and I have rewatched that TED talk several times because I think it’s great.

If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, you can find it here: The Power of Vulnerability.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the bits of Brené's work that resonate for everyone—and even the bits you might disagree with. 🌷

Hi @Former-Member .... I didn’t feel forced at all Hon ..... just didn’t want to rush in and make a decision over everybody ..... but it looked like this was the go in terms of what suits us all generally .... so we’re up and off .... 🤗💕

I am glad you posted the link to The Power of Vulnerability too ..... that was another thing I was tossing up, but was uncertain about the vulnerability of everyone else towards it ..... but it sounds like all or at least most of us have already viewed it before anyhow.

I am not very familiar with the range of Brene’s work, but identified with the Vulnerability talk immediately, and I am keen to read / hear / see / learn more ..... and from all of you in your responses to it.

@Faith-and-Hopethanks for the Tag. Will download it and read it next. I used to read alot but it takes me longer to get through a book these days.

I am reading Babette Rothschild book titled 8 Keys to safe trauma recovery at the moment. Interesting book and can relate to alot of it.

Hi @Faith-and-Hope and all Smiley Happy

I am currently listening (when I can and it's right) to Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone. It's about the need to be who we are on our own, in order to find belonging and connection with others. It's so relevant for me at this point in my journey. It's challenging and confronting but feels so good also.

I picked it up free as part of a 30 day Audible trial available here 

I also have The Gifts of Imperfection which I downloaded to read another time. 

The first I saw of Brene Brown was in this short clip on empathy a little while ago when I was studying. I loved it (still do).  

Looking forward to hearing other's thoughts as we go Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.