Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Shaz51
Community Guide

Being a male in a caring role

Hello @Determined @Blue6 @Koine @patientpatient @PhD @Alex2 @MrDad @Nino

@Alan  @JMRD , @AdamB  , @eth , @Flying_Hams , @Adge , @Lauz , @nashy , @Dadcaringalone 

Caring for someone else can feel like it's taking over your whole life and becoming 'who you are' - how do you find balance and make sure you are keeping your identity and purpose outside your caring role?

What three tips about caring for someone would you have liked to have known earlier on? Sharing some insight would be helpful to those new to a caring role, or those deep into a caring role might benefit from collecting other tips here!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Being a male in a caring role

hello @Adge  , @eth Heart

Caring for someone else can feel like it's taking over your whole life and becoming 'who you are' -

Yes it does feel like that @Shaz51

When I'm out in the community - people only acknowledge & interact with my client. They usually look right through me, as if I don't exist (I am totally ignored)

Even though I am the person who has has facilitated my client being there - most are unable to catch a train or bus on their own, & need assistance to purchase food etc.

I will think about Tips to suggest, later.

Adge

hugs my @Adge HeartHeart

I flew interstate (to the east) for my Dad's Funeral.

I live alone, have no emotional support - & I am the only one who had come interstate (midnight flight) to be there.

Yet my cousins all implored me to "care for my mother", & provide her with emotional support.

My Mum was already surrounded by people, who were all supporting her - she does not live alone, either.

No-one offered me emotional support at my own Dad's Funeral, even though I was emotionally distressed (& exhausted).

Care & emotional support needs to be freely given - not demanded. I've spent my whole life having people (especially relatives) demand it from me - whilst offering none in return.

Personal boundaries are essential - yet so hard to get people to respect your boundaries.

Adge

Hearing and supporting you too @Adge .

hugs @Adge HeartHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.