Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Brief Psychotic Episode vs Psychotic Break

Whats the difference between a brief psychotic episode and a psychotic break?

I had a brief psychotic episode in 2013, wound me up in hospital for a month. 

I had a psychotic break for the most part of last week. I was somewhat aware of reality or at least that it existed. I continued with my normal life.

Im really worried and kinda terrified that if I were to have another psychotic break I would get lost in it and not be able to find my way back

Both the brief psychotic episode and the psychotic break happened when I was under a lot of stress. Stress seems to be a significant trigger for me for this sorta thing.

I am doing my best to reduce stress but I have to be mindful that I am not putting it onto my Dad

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Brief Psychotic Episode vs Psychotic Break

Hey @ClockFace 

It is a tricky question to answer and something that may be best answered by one of your regular healthcare providers. 

It sounds like the thought of that happening again is really scary which is completely understandable. Knowing your triggers is so important, stress can be a trigger for many. 

For some people, making a list of their warning signs and what actions might need to follow can be helpful. Eg: If I notice myself ___, I know I need to ___. It might be helpful to share this plan with those around you too. 

Sorry that I can't fully answer your question, I hope that you are able to find some clarity soon 💛

Hi @ClockFace This is not a response to this particular question but offering some help to navigate the forums. I have seen you start many new threads for different questions - some of which have had little or no response. I was wondering if it might be advantageous to stick to one or two threads so we as a community can better support you. Sometimes when our stories are spread across many different threads it is not easy to keep up nor now where to go to provide that support. I saw you started a thread yesterday where you were going to post some of your amazing insights, questions and ongoing things you are dealing with - would it help to post on that thread more so we can both get to know more about you and also know where to go to find the most recent of your updates?

@Peregrinefalcon 

Yeah stress is definately a trigger for me. 

I would think the first sign I have noticed is starting to hallucinate but there has to be stuff that happens that I can recognise before that

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.