Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Curious Questions

It is said looking after ourselves and the one we love needs education.

Do all people that have Schizophrenia hint at or say that they want to change gender or marry another sometimes of the opposite gender when in an episode? 

Can memory loss be another aspect of the condition?

Can Schizophrenia mask real physical conditions? 

Is Schizophrenia caused by or can be caused by childhood trauma like PTSD and Depression can be?

Can someone with Schizophrenia come out of a long lasting episode when that person has no support, lives in a triggering environment and currently isn't taking any medication? 

How long can episodes last? 

The biggest one of all...

Can love trigger an episode and if so is the one they love a permanent trigger.... am I hurting him by being in his life?

I have a million more questions but if anyone has insight on the ones above would be great. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Curious Questions

Hi , I don’t have any experience with this but this group might be able to help you understand what’s happening for you guys ?

https://sczaction.org/peer-support-groups/

Caring  for someone with mental

illness can be very overwhelming at times. Having others to connect  who totally understand the condition will really help . I think it’s great that you are asking all those questions. Love is a wonderful thing for everyone. Keep doing what you’re doing , seek information so that you can work through these hard times together . Every illness (not just mental illness) has acute stages. He’s lucky to have someone who cares enough to reach out and seek information about his condition. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@SMTW

If only someone could tell him that! He dasn't seem all to greatful for my devotion or love. He hasn't spoken to me in weeks, I think I'm labouring over a dead relationship too stupid to let go.

Thank you for your advice. All the same.

@Fighter 

Relationship can be a complicated thing. We know we're capable of love and/or kindness when we're given people to help. 

You might find this 5 mins video helpful -> What is schizophrenia? 

Hope it helps you understand a bit better about schizophrenia.

@Former-Member 

@Fighter  sorry mate wrong tag.

@Former-Member wrote:

It is said looking after ourselves and the one we love needs education.

Do all people that have Schizophrenia hint at or say that they want to change gender or marry another sometimes of the opposite gender when in an episode? 

Can memory loss be another aspect of the condition?

Can Schizophrenia mask real physical conditions? 

Is Schizophrenia caused by or can be caused by childhood trauma like PTSD and Depression can be?

Can someone with Schizophrenia come out of a long lasting episode when that person has no support, lives in a triggering environment and currently isn't taking any medication? 

How long can episodes last? 

The biggest one of all...

Can love trigger an episode and if so is the one they love a permanent trigger.... am I hurting him by being in his life?

I have a million more questions but if anyone has insight on the ones above would be great.

No, not all people with schizophrenia say they want to change their gender or marry someone. 

Memory loss can be a feature of schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia can mask real physical conditions, as sometimes physical illnesses are thought to be fabrications, or are attributed to schizophrenia by doctors who know that a person is schizophrenic.  Also, schizophrenia can cause someone to not take care of themselves as they ought to (a 'negative symptom' or a 'cognitive symptom'), which can cause illness in itself.  For example, someone having trouble remembering to wash themselves or brush their teeth twice a day. 

Officially, there is no known cause of schizophrenia.  Childhood trauma probably wouldn't help matters, though.

Dr. Gregory P. Smith describes coming out of a psychotic state in his autobiography: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40046988-out-of-the-forest - it's a confronting read, but you may find it helpful.

I don't know how long episodes can last. 

Stress has been identified as a cause of psychosis, this is probably where you should look first. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Gwynn

Thanks that's very informative.

My partner has drastically stopped taking care of himself (he use to be very health conscious and hygienic then he stopped and went for a month now on a reckless bender he never drinks or smokes but now dose accessively) and I know stress is the major component the shelter is maxim stress it's a terrible place in general let alone anyone with any conditions I've lived it! 

What I don't know is what left there is for me to do when ppl around us have separated us. I know how to help if I'm there - I lernt fast once I discovered his condition - and there are ways to reach him through the "fog" in his head (as he calls it) but I've not been able to try for three weeks since the shelter we were in wrongfully booted me out and banned me for life. I'm trying to contest legally their actions but haven't filed anything for fear they will take it out on him because they have primary control of his life. 

I'm not sure what to do but thank you for your input and information. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.