Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

TopDeck
Contributor

DSP and work

So after 10 years of dealing with schizoaffective disorder and the mental health department, I think I'm ready to do some work. The problem I have is whether or not centrelink will review my DSP after obtaining work. My JCA says 8 hours, but I am not quite sure if there's many jobs out there that let you work 1 day (maybe casual?). I would like to work and get a bit more money, but I also don't want to lose the security of the pension. I don't want to be in a situation where I take a job, I lose the pension, then potentially get fired down the line in case I need to go to hospital or I start going downward again. Anyone have any advice?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: DSP and work

Good evening
Yes the minimum hours is 8hours, which means you need to be well enough to work or have JCA work with you to obtain work. Either for example, 2 x 4 hours shift a week or fortnight. Just clarify. If been unwell for 10 years and I have been, my ambitions were set high at first.

The last thing you need to do is set yourself up for failure. I am unreliable with my mental health. Some days like now on facebook of social media, I think a few hours office work would be good. But in reality it not the same, the stress and pressure to been at home is different. Once a first before becoming to unwell for work, they said more manual work, not office work.

Advised not to chase dollars, although its tough on DSP and to be realistic in goal setting.
Dont set yourself up for failure. Big expectations = Big letdowns.

All the best
Heartspace

Re: DSP and work

Hey @TopDeck 

It's great you are feeling up to some work. What sort of work would you like to do/are qualified for? When my mental health was not so great and I had no confidence to commit to permanent work, I signed up as a disability support worker on Mable. I did a couple of shifts a week where was someone's driver. I drove them to their physio, grocery shopping etc. I also took them to an art class once a week. I wasn't on the DSP so didn't have that worry but I'm sure something is out there that may be suitable for you.

hanami 💮

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.