Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

oceangirl
Senior Contributor

Group mental health program

How has a group program helped you or been unhelpful? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Group mental health program

Hey @oceangirl Good to see you.

For me group programs have been varied; some help some have not.

Interested in the thoughts of others ...

Hi @Appleblossom @oceangirl 

I found group therapy really unhelpful

It might depend on the therapist though who runs it, Imo they need to be skilled and caring, and maybe be able able relate to the participants, not very removed, cold and distant

I found groups hard personally, 

I didn't really meet friends etc and sometimes ppl can be a bit clingy trying to force friendships

I like to do more non mh related things that still treat my problems and help me grow

Eg yoga, excercise groups, art groups etc.

Hi @oceangirl 

I have been to a group mh program. It started with individual check-ins then psychoeducaton. I found that the peer support was a good and I agree that the effectiveness of any group like this is dependent on a skilled facilitator or therapist. I didn't have expectations for finding friends and I got a lot of benefits for my mh recovery. I agree for social interaction, a hobby or exercise based group is a better option. 

Hello @oceangirl, hope all is well in your world 😊

I've been to two group programs in the past, one for anxiety and one for depression. Both were outpatient programs at a private hospital and both were beneficial, though one more so than the other – the depression group was amazing as it was the first time I'd experienced depression and the psychoeducation (plus the structure and social support) was incredibly helpful for me at that time.

I wouldn't hesitate in joining another group program should I need one in the future, though I would be sure to do a little research into the group, the facilitators and whether I was in the right place to commit to an ongoing program.

Hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to reach out – I think a conversation around group programs might be really beneficial for many in the community.

Rhye ☘️

Hi @oceangirl @Rhye 

I've plenty of experience with group programs. I've been doing them for years and still do a half day mindfulness program each week. Like @Rhye I attend as an outpatient at a private hospital- that I have also been an inpatient at. Fortunately my private insurance covers the cost.

I have done anxiety groups, depression and the current one which is mainly focussed on practical mindfulness exercises. I also did a social phobia group years ago, but that did Not end well! lol

Oh, and I did a course of DBT which was also group-based.

Overall I have found/find them useful, but so much depends on the facilitator/psychologist running the program. And the other patients. I don't go to make friends (although the social connection within the space is important) but it only takes one...let's go with 'annoying', person to spoil the whole thing unfortunately. But I wouldn't let that scare you off- the huge majority of people are generally cool...everyone there is there for a reason, and you'll have likely have  something in common with most.

I also like the routine and knowing I have a forum to share what's been happening each week. My current group only has a limited check-in time, mainly because it's only a half day. Being able to check-in in a supportive environment us very helpful. And in the current group, we make an intention each week, which brings some 'accountability' to one's days. Not that we get in trouble or anything if we don't achieve our goal, but yeah, there's some extra motivation there.

Of course, I like the skills, strategies and treatment styles- CBT, DBT, ACT etc. I'm pretty good at not employing the skills as much as one might hope, but they are in the 'toolbox' if I need them.

Anyway, I've rambled a bit, sorry! The other, obviously big thing, is what type of support do you need- anxiety/depression/whatever.

I hope all that helps even a tiny bit! 🙂

@StuF I just gave a knowing nod when I read your statement about not using the skills as much as you would hope...it's an affliction common to most if not all of us!

I think the toolbox analogy is a good one. The toolbox sits on a shelf and you pull it out when you need it, just don't forget to add a little WD-40 or give them a whirl every now and then otherwise they get rusty and you'll be screwed (pun intended) 😉

Yep @Rhye , I agree you do need to give the skills an occasional whirl. Partly why I continue attending- at least one day a week I am committed to hopefully better navigating this weird life thing, learning and using research-based strategies and techniques.

And I find I still learn something new each week- from the other participants almost as much as the facilitator 🙂

Totally agree @StuF, sometimes I feel we're lucky to live in a part of the world where these programs are an option, and in my case that I have the private health insurance to seek out many more options when I need it. 

Very lucky indeed @Rhye on both counts

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.