Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Hi @eudemonism

I do believe clumping bamboo can be grown from segment cuttings. I haven't tried it myself @Smc may have but had some success with a tree dahlia grown from segments.

@Former-Member yea I've got seven or so segments in moist soil at present. Hoping to get a good success rate. I'll plant a couple at my place and give a few away. It'll be a few years before i see any real results. @Smc ???

Mr D got a bit of work done in the garden yesterday, I only helped a little. Finally planted the carpet roses, there are two left over so I will need to find a spot for then. Mr D mulched a couple of garden beds and a neighbour kindly mowed our front yard with her ride on (our mower in being serviced).

Looked at ride on mowers yesterday. Hard to tell if  Mr D is keen or not ... time will tell. 

@Former-Member@eudemonism, I haven't tried bamboo, but I believe it is fairly easy to grow the clumping ones. You'd want to get a piece with a few roots on the bottom if possible, and often clumping plants grow better if you plant a small clump rather than individual pieces.

Looking forward to unloading the plants I brought back from Mum and Dad's place. I grabbed a whole lot of bromeliads, which I'll probably keep in pots; some potted bulbs; some succulents and one cactus; and I found a pot of irises I'd overlooked last time so they've come back barerooted. I also brought home a potted protea that was a 50th Birthday etc. pressie from an old family friend up that way.

Gardens at both ends are full of weeds. Need to deal with ours before fire danger season kicks in. The peas and broad beans I planted in Mum and Dad's garden a couple of trips ago are growing well and should give us something to eat on the next trip, and I've put in Borlotti and Bush Beans plus sunflowers and nasturtiums for further down the track. There's also some healthy looking lettuces, but I suspect that they may bolt before we get to them. If so, I'll collect seeds for next time.

There was no roots attached to these segments, it was just a branch, that had shoots at each segment. I chopped it into pieces and planted each piece and am going to keep moist. I will Google it.

@eudemonism  Had a quick google myself - looks like your stem cuttings might be the best way of propogation clumping bamboo - hoping you have some success.

Took the hound for a run in our garden and noticed some liliums and gladioli bulbs poking through some weeds so liberated them, contemplating a spot that might be good for our left over carpet roses (garden bed at front of house done - could possibly do with one more rose but of a different colour).   My session was interrupted as the chooks decided to come into garden to free range and I did not spot them before the dog did. We had another hound v chook incident, fortunately no casualties, but there were two close calls. 

No worries @Former-Member i googled it also. I've got a nice array of plants out back. It's not ideal. There a few problems. The peacherine is sprouting shoots from the root stock, and the soil has eroded from around the root base. Fig tree one is booming. Fig tree two is just starting off. There a Jasmine vine on back fence. A Chinese elm tucked in the corner. A burgundy myrtle in the middle. An elderberry next to the elm. A banana palm down the side. A small daisy. A snake bush. A cactus in the corner. A pine schrub in the other corner.
I thought about the full food forest thing. But got deterred and disheartened. Plus the dog like chewing on the young fruit trees. Plus i figured they needed more fertiliser and maintenance. Gardening is chaotic really... i would like some chooks, but don't have a proper coop, plus i gotta consider the dog vs chook thing.

Finding what is sustainably manageable has been a challenge for me @eudemonism.

Always nice to come home with some new plants in tow @Smc

Managed to get a bit of weeding done here and put some potted liliums in ground as well as  canna lily and peony divisions, the latter picked up at a nursery when I took in a camelia leaf to see if a cause for it's  failure to thrive could be ascertained. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.