Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Is that a bit of guerilla gardening @Smc ?

@Former-Member, not really... but our backyard is an odd situation. Because of old planning issues, it's actually officially a creekside reserve leased out to householders via a variant on an agricultural lease. The leasehold land starts literally at our back door. The boundary skirts the corner of our house diagonally with about 70cms clearance. My "studio" shed is 9/10ths on titled land with one corner sitting on leasehold land; our carport, a small shed, clothesline and a water tank are all on the leasehold section, along with some of my fruit trees. I don't think we can legally put plumbing down in the leashold section, so that back strip will always be a bit out of hose-reach. We need to get permission from whatever DSE is called nowdays in addition to council permits if we want to put up a shed or fence, but otherwise, as long as we don't cause problems with water drainage or rubbish, we're free to use the land, as long as we pay the required leasehold costs. I figure that non-invasive plants that a backhoe could dig through without even noticing don't qualify as causing problems, and in fire danger season, they're easier to control than grass.

I was getting just a little excited there @Smc thinking you may have been  "gorilla" gardener 😀.

Sounds like a predicament @Smc i hope it all works out well... hi @Former-Member I've just planted 4 sections of a type of clumping grass out the back. -it's my fourth type of grass in garden now.

It's a long term arrangement @eudemonism. It works fairly well for the most part. Not as convenient as actually owning the land, but good enough.

@Former-Member, I have been known to sneak plants onto our road verge, and there is a young apricot tree still there, plus some self seeded poppies and sweet peas, and a few grape hyacinths. Is more a "monkey" garden than "gorilla" garden in scale. 😉

Gorilla, monkey ...  here are some suitable species for simian skullduggery

images (18).jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Appleblossom @Faith-and-Hope @outlander

Saw these and thought of you.

“A-Rose”-1936-vintage-gelatin-silver-print-11-14-x-9-18-inches.jpgKikker_low.jpg

I don't know what the expected time frame would be but wondering if there is any sign of roots emerging or green shoots on your bamboo cuttings @eudemonism.

I was thinking some aquelegias might be nice but have probably left my run a bit late.

@Former-Member, aquilegias are starting to flower here at our place, so it's possibly a bit late. It's a good time for cosmos, zinnias, dahlias, and not too bad for snapdragons.

Bought another punnet of toms today, and one of capsicums. Also got a stevia plant. (Have concluded that I can grow them if I'm happy to consider them annuals... they don't handle our frosts at all.) Plus a Chilean Guava, an unnamed Oriental Poppy, an Eringium alpinus, and a Tulbaghia.

When I went to see the local tulip display on the weekend with my sister, I bought some pretties there too. A blue Echinops, Golden Alyssum (perennial version with grey leaves), a perennial creeping snapdragon, a Salvia nemorosa and a delphinium. Gotta get busy planting them. 🙂

Nice haul @Smc, no wonder you need to extend out ....😀.  I believe in the right spot they * will self seed prolifically.

*edited they = aquileias

Still a bit windy here - but some moisture about - hoping to get our plants put in soon - Mr D is getting a bit anxious about the growing collection.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.