Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Codex1
Senior Contributor

Self-help books

I just thought I'd tag a few people who may be interested to talk about self-help books as an add-on type of support to our regular mental health supports. For example, advice from a self-help book can be used in conjunction with usual therapy supports.

@MDT @Dimity @LostAngel @LookingHopeful @oceangirl @Meowmy @Former-Member andothers.s

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Self-help books

Great idea @Codex1 love a self help book or podcast. Have a look at this thread too, might be of interest 😊https://saneforums.org/t5/Social-Spaces/3-Books-that-have-made-an-impact/m-p/1130592#M270668

hello @Codex1 I tend to read self help books as part of self care, mindfullness routine

Has anyone visiting this thread read The Subtle Art of Not Giving A f―k? The book is written by Mark Manson. I haven't finished the book yet, but so far I like it.

@Codex1I tried reading The Subtle Art a couple of years back. Enjoyed it, but my brain wasn't ready to absorb information in book form...so I never finished it.

My reading capability has improved since then though, so I will give the book another go soon 🙂

Hey @Codex1  just wondering - what was your old username? 

In terms of self help books I have a list that has helped me:

- 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Rules_for_Life

- Quiet by Susan Caine https://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352153

- Before and Laughter by Jimmy Carr https://www.amazon.com.au/Before-Laughter-funniest-genuinely-useful-ebook/dp/B095C1M1W1

- the Social Leap by William von Hippel https://www.amazon.com.au/Social-Leap-William-von-Hippel/dp/0062740393

12 Rules for Life I found quite practical when I was in a very low state. In that low state you need anything that gives you that practical edge. Peterson is only as controversial as people let themselves think. I dunno why people try to pin him on the alt-right. If it helps then it helps. I don't agree with everything he says - but so what right? Anyways. 

Quiet by Susan Caine I found very reassuring. She basically talks about the extroversion ideal which is her way of describing the extroverted nature of so much of modern life. I'm an introvert. Definitely. I found this book to quite reassuring and well argued. 

Before and Laughter is good. About to finish reading it. It's about Jimmy Carr's life - he's a comedian from the UK. He's a bit dirty for some, but he's very clever. He was a liason for Shell back in the day - went to a prestigious university in the UK.  He gave all that up at 25 to become a comedian. I find myself relating to that theme right about now. He talks about imposter syndrome, mental wellbeing, being true to yourself etc. I'm finding it quite good. 

The Social Leap was useful but I did find it got repetitive after a while. The theme is about how we evolved as a social species. There were some good examples but I have forgotten most of them. One I do remember however is that sugar is very clever - it replaces and acts like the thing we need by releasing the same chemicals in our brain - his basic argument for that was we should always seek to find the original source of joy. 

There are some fiction books I found quite helpful too. 

@MDT I was FiFi85 but I chose a different username because Codex1 sounds better for me.

And @MDT, I almost forgot to mention, thanks for that list of books. I'll check them out. I'm an avid reader so will read almost any book.

ahhh yes @Codex1
I remember now
Yeah i have changed my name a lot on here lol

no worries re books - hope they help

Yeap @Codex1 great thread idea.

I really enjoy self help books but like @StuF said, it really depends on how I am going with my feelings/ thoughts. I cannot force reading something even if I know it is good for me, I have to be in the right frame of mind first.

I just finished From crappy to Happy - an easy read and fairly lighthearted. Also reading The Compound effect - I enjoy it and another easy read but it is really about achieving success and I am miles from trying any of the suggestions because I am not mentally there yet. 

I am just taking it really easy and trying to be easy with what I absorb. Trying to keep it really lighthearted ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.