Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Christheart
Senior Contributor

What's working for me right now

Hey guys, 

I recently had two days of being so anxious I couldn't keep any food down. 

Last night I came across this idea of 'radical acceptance'. From my understanding it is the concept of radically accepting your situation/illness, and allowing yourself to exist despite it. Since coming across this I've been able to eat a little because I haven't been such an anxious mess. So... maybe I won't ever find a husband? Maybe I won't be the perfect socialite? Maybe I won't have many or any friends? ...What CAN I do though... what can I do, figure that out and then focus on that... 

Some of my panic comes from thinking how I'm going to get through the rest of my days, life is long, I want it to be over... I wish I was 80 instead of 27 so it would nearly be over, then SI sneaks in. But I have to axe those thoughts like invasive bramble bushes trying to take over my mind. And scripture says to worry about today, tomorrow has enough worries of its own. So maybe I could get through 'one day at a time'... that will make for a very long life... time will go slowly. Or maybe not... I don't know! 

Radical acceptance... 

Also I started watching Anne with an E. I relate to the way Anne was as a child. But now I kind of represent her old care taker Mitchell or Myrella... 

The fact is, I can radically accept the way God made me, and the way I am now. I still pray for healing, but in the mean time I'm radically accepting and it feels very brave

8 REPLIES 8

Re: What's working for me right now

Love it. I've been on a similar sort of quest. Your words are really, really helpful.

Hey @Christheart  i like what you have written here. I’m participating in a 15 week DBT course through community mh and recently we spent one week learning about radical acceptance. I found it really interesting, but a concept that I really struggle with. I also found that coming from a faith perspective, it had a lot of similar concepts to that of forgiveness. 

@Bow 

It my have even been you that mentioned it to me ? 

Thank you thank you sister.... 

I will study it further 

@wellwellwellnez 

Oh wow 🥺

What an amazing thing to offer someone comforting words.. I'm pleased about that ❤ 

That's incredible to hear @Christheart !

I've had to practise radical acceptance in my life too. The theory was a bit strange for me at first, but I soon realised that I was to accept that which was out of my control.

It took a while to click, but it really helps with the sticky situations. 

I remember a Scripture which also talks about Christ having been through everything and knows exactly what we are going through and our weaknesses (Heb 4:15). That Scripture has also been a comfort to me when things were tough. Also, 2 Corinthians 12:9-10.

All the best,

tyme

How are you tonight @Christheart ?

Thinking of you,

BPDSurvivor 

@BPDSurvivor 

Thank you for your kindness and for checking in. 

With my radical acceptance, I've re gained an appetite and my extreme panic has ceased. I've had dinner tonight and rice custard for desert. I'm feeling ok tonight. 

I'm bothered by the difficulty of my work, every morning I don't want to go to work, I just want to hide and stay home where it's safe....where I am now.... 

My cognitive has slightly improved I think, I'm better able to express myself, atleast through writing. In person I'm still struggling with a sort of unwanted muteness....

Thank you for your concern 

X

@tyme 

It really does help I'm sticky situations.

Are you are right, that is a scripture. He does know...and has compassion for us because He felt awful things to, like persecution from His peers, betrayal by friends, unimaginable pain... 

Thank you for relating to me 

I really appreciate your support on here 

X

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.