Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

jay2
Senior Contributor

election fatigue

Hi every one,  just a brief chat.  So very glad that the 6 week election torture is over and done with . Dont know how you or any felt. I found it very stressful. Couldnt stomache the last day ,took 30 hours break from radio and tv. Turned on the radio Sunday morn 7am to find out who won. So relieved its all over  and we have a new Govt.  Hope the rest of the year will be good. Regards to all ....@jay2

3 REPLIES 3

Re: election fatigue

It's been a stressful time. I like politics but this election's been quite the mental workout.

So much fear vs hope, this time. Those questions are different when you're someone who's lived through "lived experience". It's left with bigger questions about what hope really looks like.

Fear of loss is stronger than desire of gain. Does that mean the best way to hope is, hoping like you've got something to lose? Believing with urgency. That sort of thing.

I feel from a sports psychology point of view, the answer is yes. But I also think it's not the whole picture.

I'm just grateful we don't have to listen to that off-key woman singing "There's a hole in your budget..." 7 times an hour anymore 😕

In all seriousness, though, I get myself a bit worked up over elections too, but at the end of the day, I have to reconcile with myself that nothing meaningfully changes either way. That's more a depressant then a comfort, but it does tend to calm me down. I can't say that's necessarily a good thing, but maybe it makes me easier to get along with.

I think the biggest pain with elections is that it highlights the disconnect we all have with one another, and hence my own disconnect with so much of the people around me. It feels like there's no hope in sight for that one.

I don't know how we are expected to function at all, if the world we seek to create via participating in it will inevitably torture a major segment of the people who are exposed to it.

I took hope and strength from finding community with people who broadly agreed with me politically. I did a postal vote about a week before the actual election day, and I largely stopped following the federal election news after that. Glad it's over, and that the government has changed and may even have a workable senate.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.