Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jesse9494
New Contributor

Addiction, Depression and anxiety linked to ADD medication

Hey guys so just a quick question. I was diagnosed with Attention deficit disorder at the age of 19. The psychiatrist took 2 personal phone calls in the meeting and asked me questions for 3 minutes before concluding that I had ADD. For the past 8 years I have been taking 2 very popoular medications used to treat ADD and must say I hadn’t experienced depression or anxiety before taking the medication. I know must take it every day and use it to get a sense of happiness and if I don’t I honestly can’t function. Does anyone have any recommendations on mental health plans, rehabs or techniques to get off this medication completely and start fresh ? I am now 28 and can honestly say that I have not been myself or truly happy for the past 8 years. I can’t thank  everyone enough for all the help they have given me and I hope Everyone is safe and happy. Love you guys to the moon and back 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Addiction, Depression and anxiety linked to ADD medication

Hey @Jesse9494 Sounds like that was a really invalidating experience and I'm sorry that happened to you. 

I'm going to tag some people as your post may have been missed. I hope you get some support here. I wish you all the best.

@maddison @tyme @Shaz51 @MDT @ShiningStar @NatureLover @pinklollipop15 @Appleblossom 

@Jesse9494
Are you in consultation with a GP?
May be a good idea to touch base with one before making a decision re: your medication

Its good to hear you have found this community supportive

Also maybe looking for a psychiatrist who is open to titrating your meds down.

@Jesse9494 Its a concern when we do not feel the doctor in front of us is not paying attention properly.  I am sorry I do not know much about ADD or the meds, but hearing you about the limits that psychotropic meds have.  Mostly I believe meds can be helpful to get through tough times, and if you are ready coming off with some medical supervision could really work.  

Welcome to the forum

Apple

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.