Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

thoughtfulone
New Contributor

Finding Employment with/after Depression

Hello Everyone.

As a young person struggling to find work due to inexperience, shattered confidence and recovering from depression I was wondering what has worked for others. What would you suggest to "get a foot in the door"?

I struggled to finish a university degree. I am hpeful I will eventually get an entry level job but constantly find myself full of doubt and out of my depth.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Finding Employment with/after Depression

Hey @thoughtfulone  firstly welcome to the forums! 
back many years ago when I had my first bad run with my mental health, I connected with an employment agency that helped people with disabilities. They helped with resume building, applying for jobs and had a lot of connections. I got a lot of support from them and actually ended up landing a great job on my own…. But I think all that they did in building my confidence really helped. Not sure if there is something similar in your area but it may be an options??

Re: Finding Employment with/after Depression

Hi thoughtfulone
Hang in there, we and the world are in challenging times right now. Globally and esp in Australia.

Given its almost end of finanical year June 2022. Federal Election Time 21 May 2022. Not to be political but these every day (yearly, 3 yearly) events impact us in society, economics, pay and jobs and employment. Excuse me if your already aware of the government, financial cycle of the business world we live.

Tough times, it took me almost 3/4 years to get anything decent when first diagnosed with schizophrenia, a horrible ugly time. Outside of my control a predisposition (genetics). Later life late 20s a few odd years and diagnosed at 30. A year and a half on bad overly medication and sleep and useless life, struggling. Some how I was determined to not let this beat me, and pushed myself. I had to give up my career in complimentary therapies and go back to office work. I got a traineeship through disability support and did a Cert 3 in Office administration. Key thing was to learn a modern office and IT/Computer etc. 

Not sure what you uni studies are, but cleaning is a tough hard job. Highly sort after right now esp if fit and covid cleaning standards. It casual work and pay rates vary (inconsistent). I suggest support, maybe a contract with a NDIS cleaning service and set pay rate (research caps). If you have a car and see if you can get stable work hours. Just on suggestion/option. 

Not sure about SANE, but there is what government called Target groups for certain jobs, helping the vulnerable groups in society. It ok to put you have a medical condition although it private. It helps if you get a good boss on the interview panel.

Just reread question lol I have gotten off track. You have a Uni Degree, didnt state what area, its very competitive so any help through the Uni you studied at if choosing a job in that field. Some degrees are transferrable (first year generic skills (research, written skills etc). So there are many business types jobs and admin for a foot in the door to get some solid work. Prep now generally econmic's wages, jobs increase with spending after the end of June (EOFY). New confidence in business and money to employ expand etc. It all impact. You need a good organisation that is supportive. Some that get funding of called NGO's (Non government ogranisations). .E,g. SANE a not for profit, but federally funded to provide an essential service for us. If in QLD then there is a job site and Peak Body called Queensland Council of Social Services (QCOSS) the have input into policy and services for the community. They list a variety of jobs associated with they human side of life and jobs. It hard work and research. Persistance. On average over 200 min a job application? most dont even respond now. Some are taking (healthy normal people) a few years for stable work.  Just dont feel bad about yourself, its competitive and very difficult workforce and a major life event that impacts us all.  Hope something made sense or helped. I am not chronically disabled with my MH and and sadly on DSP. I so wish you luck to get some good quality work and move forwards with a productive meanginful job. 🙂 ❤️ 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.