Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: How to manage my bad anxiety attacks

Hi I’m think of doing an easy admin work if there is actually one out there. I’m looking to volunteer one or two days to get experience than apply for paid work. I’ll do that later this year or next year volunteering.

@Teej 

Hi there thank you for replying to my message. Can I ask how did you accept the suituation? What did you say to yourself? 

@Ali11  thank you for replying to my post. I’m thinking of doing an easy admin job if there is one out there. I’ll first volunteer once a week for awhile to get experience. But I’ll do that later on this year or next year. Because I’m going to be changing my medication soon so just giving it awhile before it actually works and getting use to it. Do you know if there are any part time admin jobs out there? 

Hello @Snoopy88 

I thought I would answer you question over here , hope you don`t mind

I found these, they maybe helpful to you

I think the biggest thing is to work out what works for you my friend

you are not alone , so remember we are here for you

Reducing anxiety in your life

There are lots of things you can do for yourself to help reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.
The experience of having an Anxiety attack  varies from person to person. While managing symptoms can often be difficult, and this should not be underestimated, discuss with your treating health professional what you can do to help yourself.

Understanding is power

The more we understand about Anxiety attacks ,  the better prepared we are to start dealing with them. Understanding the symptoms, causes, and symptoms of anxiety can help us to tackle it better.

Learning to tolerate uncertainly

Many anxious people feel a strong need to ‘know for sure’ about situations or about the future. This often just isn’t possible.
Do what you can to accept that things often are uncertain, and to ‘wait and see’.

Mutual support

Many people affected by Anxiety attacks  find it helpful to meet and talk with others who have had similar experiences.

Discussing symptoms and tips for dealing with them in a relaxed, understanding environment such as this can be a great support in recovery from anxiety. Contact 1800 18 SANE (7263) or the SANE Online Helpline for details of a group in your area, or find on online community at www.mindhealthconnect.org.au.

Everything is not an emergency

As someone starts to feel extremely anxious they often experience a similar pattern of warning signs – symptoms such as feeling on edge or becoming short of breath. Emotions and physical responses react as though there were real danger – but this is the big lie of anxiety attacks  for ‘everything is not an emergency’.

Learn to recognise the warning signs

Learn to recognise the warning signs, so you can re-assess your situation and try to stop the anxiety
Think about what happens when you start to feel anxious. If you often feel like you are going to have a panic attack on public transport, for example, make a list of how you feel and what happens to your body when this happens.

Alongside this, make a list of how you could manage these symptoms – such as slow breathing or thinking about something very positive, for example.

Build on what you know helps

You probably already have some healthy ways of helping yourself feel less anxious. Recognise and build on these.

For example, every time you find yourself slipping into a spiral of worry over a past event or something that might happen in the future, tell yourself to stop and focus on the here-and-now, on enjoying being immersed in the present moment.

Some people find it helpful to have a mantra (a helpful, inspiring phrase) or powerful mental image to help them do this: for example, imagining their life as a vast sphere and the worry as a tiny speck beside it.

Break problems down to tackle them

When you feel anxious it can seem like there’s no way out from problems that trouble you. Try to take a fresh approach which helps you look at the problem from a different angle, so that stress and worry can be reduced.

If something is troubling you, try not to dwell on it but write it down in black-and-white, then put down all the different ways you could tackle it. Consider which is the most realistic and useful, and what practical steps you could take to carry it out. Discuss these with your health professional.

Slow breathing

It’s likely your GP, psychologist or other treating professional will talk to you about breathing slowly as a way of dealing with anxiety. This can be a surprisingly simple and effective way of helping your body relax and switch off the tense ‘flight or fight’ emergency response which anxiety triggers.

Take a slow breath in for six seconds, hold it briefly, then breathe out slowly. Don’t rush the breaths, and repeat for a minute or so.

Being physically healthy is good for our mental health

Our physical and mental health interact continually. Getting enough sleep, eating healthy meals, and avoiding recreational drugs and excessive alcohol not only does your body good, but will make you feel good too.

Too much caffeine can contribute to feeling anxious, so try reducing or even giving up coffee or other drinks which contain caffeine.

Physical exercise is also a proven way of improving mood, probably because of healthy changes this brings about in the body and brain. This doesn’t have to mean going to a gym, but can be something as simple as riding a bicycle to work or taking a brisk walk for half-an-hour or more a few times a week.

For further information, please see the Guide to Healthy Living.

Make time to relax

Make time every week to do things you enjoy and which relax you. Going for a walk, having a massage, listening to music or simply immersing yourself in reading or watching a movie can help calm you and reduce anxiety.

People affected by Anxiety attacks  are often hyper-alert a lot of the time, so it’s good to deliberately tell yourself that your mind and body are ‘off duty’ and have a right to relax.

Don’t be too hard on yourself

Try to develop a habit of being flexible rather than over-demanding on yourself or others. Don’t try too hard to be perfect in everything you do.

Remember that you’ll never be able to control everything that happens around you, or what other people do and think, so why not accept this and concentrate on enjoying just being yourself.

Hello and hugs @Gardener , @Ali11 , @outlander , @Teej 

my husband has lots of anxiey attacks and panic attacks

What does your husband do about his panic attacks and anxiety how does he manage it? Does he work full time? 

i find breathing really hard to do when I have anxiety. It’s really hard to do it. I was trying it out today. 

hi @Snoopy88 

we are self employed due to my husband `s MI

one day he totally frozed while whipper snipping , he could not move

I am nearly always with him , so I sat him down under a tree , but even that did not work that day , so we i packed up and we went home

he laid on the lounge and did not move for the afternoon , he fell asleep

but it would be hard if you are at a job and you cant do this

sometims now my husband can feel he needs the afternoon off

volunteering and getting back into work slowly sounds like a good idea @Snoopy88

I agree @outlander , @Snoopy88 

one step at a time

Agreed @outlander & @Shaz51, slowly, one day at a time. Have you thought of any local businesses that you already have a connection with in some way @Snoopy88? If you want to start with a day or two a week to ease back into a routine and build your comfort levels, a local small business could be good. The breathing will become easier with practice as well. It seems like such a placebo style thing to do, "Just breathe", but our breath affects our body a lot and if we can control our breath we can begin to counter moments of tension or discomfort more effectively. It's great that you're working on that already Heart 

It's great that you're working on that already, way to go @Snoopy88 , keep going my friend , we are with you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.