Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Letters to Myself

@Judi9877 I find it hard to compliment myself too. I tend to not believe anybody when people tell me that I'm apparently a very nice person or that I'm improving in some area of my mental health, or whatever it is. I keep reminding everybody that they don't have to live with me lol! I presume people are just being polite and mean well. But I also wonder whether they'd make such graceful comments if they knew me well. I guess that this is a gray area because some people are genuinely lovely even if they do put themselves down to others like me and other people around them. So I don't know really... Maybe just compliment yourself anyway haha, most people are very good and from what I read on the threads, you're one of the good people! We all have our imperfections but if we're being as good as we can be, that's what matters and most people can see that we try to keep out of trouble lol! 🤗:money_mouth_face: But seriously @Judi9877, I feel sure that people who try to support us are trying to make us feel better and they believe in us for real. Sometimes positive self-talk is hard to come by, but when I read threads in these forums, people do show that they're trying to change their self-talk issues whether they know it at the time, or not. And good on you @MDT! Just take a big breath and remind yourself that you have a life for a reason and that you are worth something to someone and to yourself.

Positive self talk is VITAL @Judi9877 @Codex1

I was struggling with it for some time in fact. This morning I was awake at 4am and struggled to get back to sleep. All because of self talk not being good as it could.

I listened to a podcast with David Gandy (world's highest paid male model) on my way to work this morning. He spoke about how fame can change people. It didn't for him and he seems like a very genuine person which is a lot to day for that industry.

https://youtu.be/5rOHOGA4oME

hey all

i sent my resignation today
@Codex1 I know you were asking about it yesterday

Big move @MDT 

I so hope it all works out for you 🙂

I will make it work
@StuF

I know I can

Thanks for your support my friend @StuF

It means a lot 🙂

I'm sure you can @MDT 

👍

Dear Hams

By now you would know full well that your status as never having been in a relationship puts you on the outter. The minority. But I do not for a minute believe this makes you inadequate. A lot has happened to you, both of your own making and the makings of circumstances and the sheer reality of life in the 21st Century. You know full well that you are not alone in this feeling. Sexuality is hard. As is the topic of sex itself. I know in your early 20s you were asking yourself some questions about your sexuality. You thought you were gay because you had no female friends. It is somewhat funny to think about things this way, but I do see your logic. In fact you were simply shy and didn't know how to talk to girls. As you went through the church atmosphere you were taught about sex and dating and what it was for in that context. That is not a context you operate in anymore. Alas, since the age of about 21 you've been confused about it and in the past 7 years you've had to do a lot of psychological work to undo some of that confusion. 

Your approach to dating now is perhaps the most liberal it has ever been. You are no longer beholden to those religious morals. But this has not by any stretch of the imagination made things easier. It has probably made it harder - but it is better than the alternative. 

PLease do not feel as if you have to do anything by a certain age. You've never had sex or been in an intimate relationship with a girl who likes you. But so what? I don't believe this makes you less of a man or indeed a human worthy of acceptance. You've explained your situation rather well to the girl you went out with on the weekend. You were honest and upfront as part of your new approach. This is good in its own right. What this experience you had on the weekend tells me is just how confusing all of us can find dating, relationships and sex in the modern world. You made a very good point about how you didn't want to restrict yourself, but you didn't want to be fake. So be honest like you have been so far. I believe you are mature enough to do this. Others may not be, then so be it. They perhaps do not have the self reflective tendencies you have. 

But for now my friend Hams, I would say focus instead on what you want to do in this realm. There is no straightfoward answer and the worst thing you can do is lie to yourself and other people. Be bold and embrace your lack of experience. Don't even feel the need to justify it. 

In time you'll come to realise, if you have not already realised it yet, that the worst thing you can do is live according to another's principles or expectations. 

Go back onto the apps when you need to. But perhaps for now explore what it is you want out of life itself, not just this realm. 

There is no rush my friend 

Hey @MDT  - thank you for giving us the chance to witness these letter’s to yourself. You really blow me away with your ability to be vulnerable and share such supportive & wise words to yourself. 

I am a natural reflective type of person myself and have many a journal entry at home about various aspects of my experiences & views on life. I don’t think though I have done it as ‘wisdom’ to self style that I see in this process for you. It may just be something worth exploring for myself.

I hear through your words how much growth has occurred through time.

It is inspiring to me - to have that commitment to yourself! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.