Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Furn
Casual Contributor

New here

Hi I have just moved to Australia 6mths ago from NZ (my hubby is Australian). We have 3 kids. I have been in this depressive episode for a little over a year now, thought moving countries would provide a fresh start and help lift it but unfortunately it’s getting worse I’m at crisis point which I’m fighting so hard not to give in. I am engaged in the mental health services here however finding it’s not helping. My hubby is also very stressed as he’s afraid of possible outcome. I continue to utilise my DBT skills which distract me for only a few moments but it’s not doing anything for my mood and I’m extremely exhausted with feeling like this. I’m losing all hope. I have tried numerous medications In the past which work for awhile before I come resistant to them. I have also had ECT in the past. NOTHING is working anymore I’m not sure how much more I can take 😢😢😢

5 REPLIES 5

Re: New here

Hi @Furn

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for sharing a bit of your story. Moving to a new country can be tough, especially with the added challenge of being in the midst of a depressive episode and looking after three kids. It's no wonder you're feeling exhausted!

I'm sorry to hear that it feels like things are getting worse. It can be so hard to hold onto hope when nothing seems to be working. I'm glad you've reached out here – you're not alone in feeling this way.

When you say you're at crisis point, do you mean that you are thinking about suicide? If that is the case, it's really important to talk to someone. We have a few services here in Australia that are available 24/7:

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling

Samaritans: 135 247

Did you find the support in New Zealand more helpful, and is there anything you can pinpoint that might make the support you have more useful?

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to look around the Forums yet, but feel free to join in any discussions. We have some social spaces where you can introduce yourself, have a general chat or discuss all kinds of topics, such as craft, jokes or birds.

Welcome once again @Furn and please keep posting Smiley Happy

Furn
Casual Contributor

Thank you for the numbers. Mental health services are pretty slack in NZ so didn’t get much support ended up having  hospital admissions because they couldn’t get meds right and couldn’t get hold of them when I was having suicidal thoughts with plans. Thanks again

@Furn@ Hi and welcome to the forums. Feel free to have a wander around, join in a conversation thread anywhere. If you want to talk to a particular member, just put the @ symbol in front of their name

Sounds like mental health services are just as stretched as over the water. Sorry to hear that, because it's hard enough getting support and help.

Sorry @Furn

I didn't see the original post above the moderator until just now, and realised I messed up your user name as well. I'm doing great tonight- NOT!

Take care of you.

GoatV2-0
Senior Contributor

Hi Furn,

I'm an ex-pat kiwi too. Been here for 7 years now.

From past experience the healthcare system as a whole here is quite a ways ahead of NZ and would encourage you to shop around if you feel the therapist you're seeing is not a good fit.

If it's a case of just feeling hopeless... like nothing is going to work, then i can relate and am still fighting with this myself. I have social anxiety but am smart enough to know that becuase of this i am also depressed. Or at least have a tendency to be depressed for longer periods as i struggle to remain hopeful for the future. 

I know we might have different demons, but I think at the end of the day the only ones who can get us through this all are ourselves. With the right help, techniques etc.. it's always only going to be ourselves.

That said, there is support and you've done well to just reach out here. It takes a lot, so give yourself that.

The fact you have a husband who cares so much about your well-being is a great thing. I know it's real hard to find the positive at times like this, but that too is a start.

Good luck on your journey, Furn.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.