Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: New to this forum

@@how do I suggest peer support? Our daughter has refused any assistance whatsoever...

Hi @Stargirl 

I believe we are not permitted by the Forum Guidelines to name actual doctors here, and we can’t name our own suburbs either, but I am sure services like Headspace will have doctors they can refer you to, or be able to refer you to someone who can refer you ….. 😏

It seems like you have made considerable headway in sorting some things out @Stargirl I hope your daughter feels the love and support from you - you certainly deserve it. Keep reaching out here and also the Helpcentre if you need - you are definitely not alone ❤️

It might be a good idea to take out the place your daughter lives in your previous posts @Stargirl - less identifying if your daughter does read anything here.

Agreed @Zoe7 …..

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey @Stargirl, I'm not sure if your daughter would need or want face-to-face peer support? As you mentioned earlier that she struggled to make her Telehealth appointments. If so, the Mental Health Line might be the best resource to locate an appropriate peer support service. (I linked you to the QLD line as I believe you mentioned you were based in QLD before).

At SANE we have 1-1 and group peer support services , and these are online / by Telehealth. It's possible that she could find your forums posts if she were to go onto SANE's website, find the Forums, and read what's there. If you wouldn't be comfortable with this idea, you can direct her to other organisations who do peer support, for example eFriend who offer up to 15 sessions with a peer support worker by call, video call, or online chat 😊

I hope that peer support can seem like an approachable first step for her, if previously she hasn't felt like other options were right for her. The focus is ultimately on connecting with someone else who can understand what their struggles might be like, which may seem less intimidating than clinical services 🌻

@Former-Member I believe our @Stargirl 's daughter is in Victoria not Queensland. Do you have the same link for Vic?

Oops I was a bit naughty and named a suburb. Won't do that again ☺️

All good @Stargirl - want you to feel as safe as you can to talk here 😁 You can edit your posts by clicking on the Post Options at the top right of each post - a drop down box will appear and the first one on that list says 'EDIT POST' - then you can edit and repost 👍

Hi @Stargirl ,

Thank you for reaching out here on the forums. 

I can hear how hard things can be as a carer of a teenager. Being 19, your daughter is in between youth and adult mental health services.

Is your daughter on the NDIS? (doesn't sound like she is, but thought I'd ask). There are different services available if she is.

Unfortunately, recovery is a two-way process. You daughter needs to want the support in order to achieve the best outcome. Definitely refer to @Former-Member 's post about accessing the peer services supports on SANE. This is especially helpful if she prefers webchat (as many teenagers do). Just a note, the SANE website says 'Chat not available', keep checking in because peer workers may be on other webchats.

Services in Victoria may include: Breakthru and  Neami  

Look forward to hearing from you about her progress.

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.