Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BlueTrane
Senior Contributor

Obsessing about diagnosis

I've been diagnosed with many mental illnesses over the years. My new psychiatrist, who saw me several months ago, said they disagreed with my previous doctor's diagnosis and wanted to clean the slate. I have delayed booking my next appointment. I am terrified of having to go back to the drawing board AGAIN. But the longer I sit at home anxiously, the more I doubt myself. I feel like an imposter, like at any moment, the new doctor will say, hey buddy, you've been faking it this whole time. You had everyone fooled, even yourself, but not me. Btw you are a borderline narcissist, you present as being extraverted and confident and up yourself, but you hate yourself so much you should change your name to Calvin Tulip (an obscure reference, I know). Yeah, I have spent way too long thinking about this. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Obsessing about diagnosis

Afternoon @BlueTrane,

Argh, the pain that can be the dreaded diagnosis! I can relate to the anxiety around seeing a new therapist, the unknowns around their professional viewpoints, plan of action etc. It's a hard place to sit in, and it makes sense that you might be a feeling a bit more anxiety as a result.

It can be helpful to remember that the therapist is there to support you. I know for some of us (me included!) that might come with some trepidation, and rightly so given it takes time to establish trust, but the goal of walking through their door and sitting on their couch is to receive the help we need to cross back into the land of happy days and contentment. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that nothing is black and white – whilst your therapist may suggest a new diagnosis and treatment plan, it may not differ all that much. It may also look different, but it could be a difference that makes all the difference to your wellbeing. We just don't know till we know.

No matter the outcome, Calvin Tulips or otherwise, we're here to walk along side you.

Rhye ☘️

Hi Blue trane,   Every new shrink will give you a different diagnosis..... Go to the library and look them all up, you will then be well informed and can understand and talk to the shrink on a better level...Dont get carried away and imagine you have XYZ the shrink will pick it up. Shrinks are hard to get,so treat the one you have got with respect, upset him/her and they will drop you . Have patience and persevere for a while. Regards @ jay2

Hi there, thanks for adding to the discussion @jay2 ! I just wanted to throw in also that therapeutic practitioners can work with people in varying ways and people can have all different kinds of experiences with any mental health or other health professional – in positive ways and unfortunately in sometimes negative ways also. While that can be really hard, hurtful and frustrating, each professional is different however and we encourage people to still reach out as there are many dedicated professionals out there who will care and stay the course, but perhaps try someone different if your current arrangement with a therapist doesn't work out. No two are the same – so it might take you a few goes, but it can be really worth it.

Much care and gratitude,

-- Otter

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.