Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Delicatessen
Senior Contributor

Planning - Bipolar will travel

As noted in an earlier discussion, I will soon be travelling overseas and have elected to take travel insurance out that doesn’t cover bipolar.  This goes on for a while so please hang in there..

This does not mean that in the rest of my planning I didn’t think a great deal about the risks this presented for me. I wanted to share the strategies that are going to be put in place in case anyone out there is thinking their bipolarity (or any mental illness in some respects) will stop them from travelling. 

So here’s some of what’s planned noting I’m going overseas for quite a long period of time.

- closer to the dates, my psychiatrist is going to give permission to my pharmacy to fill my scripts for over and above the duration of travel so I have enough upfront 

- my psychiatrist is going to write a detailed letter for me that can be shown to customs (confirming my meds are prescribed and legitimate) along with some details of my mental illness and statements about my assessed stability prior to travel (can be shown to other doctors if needed)

- I am taking two bags and am going to put half my meds in each

- if my meds get stolen or bags get lost, I can take my letter to the GP, along with my psychiatrists number and pager (feel there is a good chance they will give me scripts then)

- if I become unwell (worried about this as I may need someone else to notice as I may not notice this within myself) I can go to a hospital to ask for assistance as we have reciprocal heath provisions with the country I’m going to

- if I do need care, it’s also possible that I will be put in a safe house where I will be visited for a period until I stabilise

I am definitely not an expert in this space and any or all of the above may not work for others. I’m sure everyone is different.  I have discussed the above with my supports and they are happy with the steps I’m taking.

Given that I have not travelled yet, I’m sure my plans are not perfect or necessarily complete, but the biggest risks are felt to have been addressed at this stage.  I would be interested to know others thoughts on what to think about when you’re planning to travel with bipolar.

Also, are there any other bipolars that decided not to travel because they were worried about the risks?

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Planning - Bipolar will travel

@Delicatessen   Hi Delicatessen I am terrified of travel especially via plane due to my mental illness. I have bipolar I/schitzoaffective disorder.  I suffer extreme paranoia of being poisoned/drugged. I wish you all the best on your travels.

Hi @Delicatessen , I think what you've planned sounds good. I wonder if you could also make several copies of the doctor's letter and put in each of your bags? Sorry, you have probably planned that already!

I am not a traveller (I have agoraphobia!), but I hope people with more experience than me will come along and comment here...

Hey @Delicatessen  i don’t have bipolar, but I do have numerous other mental health conditions (depression, CPTSD, anxiety and an eating disorder) and I’m planning to travel overseas in August. To be honest, I’m only really concerned about my ED interfering in my travels, as long as I can manage that and keep myself physically well, then I believe I should be ok I think. 

Thank you for sharing your list of things you plan to do, I will save these as it’s a good list. 

Good on your for not letting your MH issues stop you from experiencing the world! 

Hi @greenpea thank you for your best wishes. Much appreciated. I feel for you not being able to travel.  It made me realise how lucky I am. Do you mind if I ask if you can travel to nearby destinations or get outdoors some other way? Understand if you don’t want to disclose… Hope you are well.

Hi @NatureLover @Thank you for your suggestion re preparing multiple copies of my doctors letter. Had not thought of that!! Will definitely add this to the list of things to do.  Regarding your agoraphobia - it makes me feel privileged to even just be in the planning stages (I have to train outdoors constantly to get a required level of fitness). I forget how lucky I am sometimes.

Hi @Bow thank you for your best wishes. It’s great to know someone else is going to take the plunge!

@Delicatessen  thank you for your post. I can just get outside with support. It is hard though.  I just get scared.

@greenpea  I'm sorry to hear 😞 Do you have agoraphobia like me? 

Glad I've been helpful @Delicatessen  🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.