Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rick
Senior Contributor

The affectiveness of teatment for mental illness........

I would like to pose a question to the forum.

I feel this is a topic which we talk about often on this forum and we all have feelings about but which the mental health sector both clinical and non clinical themselves appear to not be aware of. On a sector forum that I take part in a practicing clinician made the statement that in the USA peer support programs were completely inaffective and that mental health should be left to professional clinicians. I personally argued the point that it was my experience and the experience of people I know well that the clinical side of MH treatment was full of gaps. These gaps being the actual affectiveness of medications and treament therapies.  

So what do you think? If you are recieving treatment for your illness is that treatment actually working in regard to the symptoms of your illness.

How affective is the treatment you recieve for your mental illness?

Are the medications you are on completely affective, partially affective or not affective?

Is the counselling, therapy, analysis and service support you recieve affective or not affective?

How do you deal with any gaps in treatment affectiveness?

I would like very much to thank everyone who participates in this discussion, as I believe the more I know objectively the better my ability to advocate.................

Thankyou

Rick

30 REPLIES 30

Re: The affectiveness of teatment for mental illness........

Allow me to kick this off.

The treatment I recieve from my psychiatist is i guess therapy and medication. 

Both have a limited affect on the illness itself. The fact that my psychiatrist actually cares does help, in that he has made himself availble to contact via mobile any time. Not something I've used often but have infrequently. And it's been helpful. I understand my condition now where as for a long time I did'nt even believe I was'nt making the whole thing up. He helped me by believing me. 

As to outcomes on the whole their are issues that cannot be treated and therefore I must find a way to live with them. this is unfortunate as I was hoping for a magic wand.

I also have a support worker. I see him roughly weekly and if nothing else he has encouraged me in my goal to return to work as a mental health worker. He burgeons my confidence which is a wobbly old thing and recently when I lost hope he  did'nt try to make it better but he did encourage me when it began to return. I did'nt want to risk hoping again, and he respected that. But also allowed me through conversation to think about more. 

That I found was an affective use of time tho I could'nt name the stategies used.

For the rest well I just hold on. I experience the bad stuff and I have the symptoms, but along with my Doc, with my support dude, and my friends and my daughter I get by.

It's not great. Alot of the time it's not even good, but I suppose it has become bareable.

Hi @Rick 

Interesting questions you pose.

May I add one?

You mentioned the statement from the clinician in the USA was 'peer support programs were completely inaffective'

I'm keen to know if people agree/disagree and why?

Very interesting had not really though about this but we all probably should.

My personal experence is that for 2 years i was seeing my phsy monthly and a clinical therapist weekly.

i now really just on maintanence i take meds to stop me getting really too depressed but never really feel happy and others that stop me from dreaming ( susposedly ) i still have nightmare once or twice a week and different events will cause flashbacks which are really scary as there just so real. And others meds to help me get to sleep.

I have been told that PSTD may diminish in time or may never go so thats why i looked for a site like this to see how other people cope and what helps them.

Scorpion

Agreed!

yes please.

What about you Nik

Have you come across peer support?

Nothing I've received has been effective,but what's happened to me is somewhere between Neurology and Psychiatry so not clear cut.
Psychiatry is FAR from knowing everything about the brain and some people arn't helped by current treatments.

The Clinician said that most likely because his ego felt threatened and not due to objectively peer support being of no benefit.
We can't forget some people become Psychs for the wrong reasons and like power,ego trips,are pompous,like to refer to themselves as "professionals" etc and have stigmatising assumptions about people with Mental Illnesses and perceive them as incompetent.
Some clinicians are VERY opposed to peer support workers working in Hospitals along side them etc because,frankly,they don't see them on the same level as them.

Even if Peer support provided none or little help for the persons symptoms, At the very least Peer support has a role to play in emotional support and keeping Mental Health workers accountable for wrong actions etc.

I would not be where I am today without the mutual help and friends I have met through Grow. So I can say wih my limited experience of 8 years in Grow that lives are transformed.. And having worked in paid roles with programs like PeerZone, absolutely peer support works!!
It is an option and as @ivana said, the lived experience workforce does hold services accountable for how people experience services in the mental health sector...

The treatment I receive is broken up into 2 parts really. One is the sessions with the psychiatrist and the second part is medication.

The psychiatrist is an effective one who I totally trust. In the beginning I thought he was a bit pushy but in retrospect I needed that because I had very little insight into my condition.

My sessions are pretty frequent and sometimes intensive which is needed really for shizoaffective disorder. I have been admitted both through the public health system and the private health system.

I think the admission through the public system is very professional and I always feel good when I am there. Both are good.

On the medication side, it took me a long while to get to the right mix that was effective. SchizoA is difficult to treat properly so the right medication has been crucial for me.

Some of the symptoms such as voices, hallucinations and delusions can be intractable if not properly dealt with. The line between reality and unreality frequently vanishes. So you really have to get on top of it.

However, medication is a mixed bag. I was on the gold standard drug for schizophrenia which was amazingly effective. But the side effects after 6 months were intolerable and so serious I had to abandon it.

After a lot of trial and error I am very satisfied with the effectiveness of the medication I now take. I am on 2 antipsychotics and 2 mood stabilisers, one of which is an anti convulsant. Of course there have been supplimentary things like ECT but they really are an adjunct to the medication regime.

The down side is that any reduction in the antipsychotics or ceasing them can lead to very very serious withdrawal symptoms. So care has to be taken to understand this and make an informed decision before starting. They also have side effects and this has to be weighed up as well.

Nevertheless this combination works for me and the alternative without them would be a very poor quality of life and outcome personally.

Professional peer support is limited where I live. My flatmate acts as a bit of a carer in making sure I take my medication, eat and look after my health and hygiene.

He is a top guy and is a great example of someone living with his MI (schizophrenia) and managing effectively in addition to supporting other people who may not be as effective in managing their own illnesses.

I occasionally go to clinic but that is quite irregular and I haven't found it that effective as a support mechanism. I do find online peer support of enormous value though and it is an integral part of my treatment overall. I would access peer support more if it was available.

Hi Kenny
Thank you so much for sharing your story.
You have a great insight into your treatment regime and your illness.

I really appreciate your input here \
I think it's important that the MH sector is aware of the ups and downs that we face.

I admire greatly your positive outlook and your ability to get it done.

thank you

Rick

Sandy

That was great. I am very pleased to read your about your posistive experience with peer support.

It is a comparatively new iniative and tho I've heard nay sayers in clinical circles I think that the feedback from people like us is more accurate and therefore has a lot more worth.

Thank you for your input

Rick

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.