Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Bipolar
Casual Contributor

Working on me!

My first post on this forum... hello!

I am medicated, I guess I can say I am stable; but am I? On the one hand, I am not depressive or suicidal, so that is a good thing. However, mania is still very much present. I found myself obsessing over certain things for hours or sometimes days.

The past few days I have been obsessing over finding a job I would be happy in. I have been sending out resume, after resume in the hope of finding a job to fill my time. You see I don't study or work currently because of my mental health.

I have some good weeks and some bad weeks which makes keeping study or a job very difficult. I have been medicated again now going on two weeks, which is a shocker but it's essential to my family that I stay stable.

I am a timid person in a way, introverted. I lack the confidence to live up to my calling.

I have mental health issues and also went through a troubled upbringing of physical and sexual abuse; I tend to want to help people a lot. I am online on online forums promoting mental health awareness. I am the person who is always there for everyone so the past few days I have realised "hey why go back and study accounting again when I can aim myself towards more a mental health support worker type of role."

Who better to do a job like that than someone who has lived through it themselves? The problem! I lack self-confidence, and I am scared of not being enough.

There is a community services course starting in over a month, and I may end up enrolling in it. This course will provide me with a introduction into the field. I am currently looking into some volunteer work in the meantime around my community that should help build my confidence and experience.

The community service field I am excited about; accounting is annoying; I think I found my calling. I have to work on me in the process though!

Thank you for reading my blob of mess. x

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Working on me!

hi @Bipolar 

Kobecat here one of the overnight moderators.   Welcome to the forum and the community!! 

Hope you find this a safe space to connect and feel supported.  

Kind regards, 

Kobe 

Hi Bipolar, I am bipolar as well. Yippee.  Do you wonder how many people who work in mental health might have those conditions but keep it to themselves? I wonder why they do that. My psychiatrist who is wonderful has been through a lot of terrible stuff. He didn't tell me. I found out myself. Although we both have disabled kids, which is a bit heartbreaking at times. He said he gets through all his trouble by helping others which is really great to channel it to a good cause. Good on you for taking up the challenge. I hope it all goes well. You sound like a brave person and if you are working on yourself to help others all the better.

I think maybe they keep it to themselves so that they can keep a professional distance. However, I think personally for me if I end up getting in the field when times raise where I have to get on a personal level I will!

I am 25 years old, so it's about time I really try and get out there!

hi @Bipolar welcome to the forums. I hope you will find support & friendship here as I have.

I've been unemployed for 7 years due to crippling mental illness. I'm currently applying for work. I volunteer at my local community house where the participants are mentally unwell, some more so on any given day. Sometimes I find their agro, negativity or anxiety triggers my own mental health symptoms. So volunteering is a good way to test how you react in an environment where you are exposed to many mentally unwell people whilst maintaining your professional role to support them.

I hope you can find some meaningful volunteer work to help your energy and curiosity for a career change. The staff where I volunteer are really compassionate so I'm inspired by them.

If you want to let someone know you've replied to them put the @ symbol before their name and that will tag them. Otherwise your posts can get lost!

Good luck & look forward to seeing you around the forum Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.