Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Rhye
Senior Contributor

3 Books that have made an impact

Hey there forumites!

As we ease into those long summer days during the holiday period, the online peer support team have been discussing books we’ve been reading that have made a lasting impact. We thought why not share our love of all things books with the community by sharing recommendations for books that have changed you in some way.

We’d love to hear from the community on the books that have moved you, be they self-help, non-fiction, poetry anthologies, the choices are endless, which is why we thought we’d limit it to a central theme – 3 books that moved you – and why (optional).

📚 I’ll kick things off with 3 books that moved me, and why:

1. One hundred Years of Dirt, by Rick Morton
    Within this memoir the author takes us on his journey of survival and ultimately towards regaining his mental health. This book grabbed me right out the gate – Rick Morton (award winning Australian journalist) takes us down his journey of intergenerational trauma and poverty, whilst at the same time celebrates the love of his family. A relatively short read, but one that certainly left its mark.

2. Miss America By Day: Lessons Learned From Ultimate Betrayals and Unconditional Love, by Marilyn Van Derbur
    **Trigger warning** – this is the story of a former Miss America, who through her healing process, overcame 13 years of intrafamilial sexual abuse and took her story to the world to share with others who have walked the same path. It is a very tough read in parts, but it’s ultimately a story of resilience and achievement. Moving, raw and left an indelible mark.

3. Wherever You Go, There You Are, by Jon Kabat-Zinn
    In a particularly dark period, this book was life-saving, and life giving. Within its pages, Kabat-Zinn introduces the reader to the practice of mindfulness and in doing so, shares hope for living in the present moment, with all the highs and lows that may bring. Big tick!

Now over to you – which 3 books have left a mark on you, and if you care to share, we’d love to hear why.

Tagging a few of my fellow online peer support team and community members who might be keen to share their top 3 with the community: 
@Paperdaisy @cloudcore @flybluebird @Daisydreamer @Shaz51 @ShiningStar @Bow @BlueBay @Appleblossom @Gwynn @HenryX @AussieRecharger @Flying_Hams @BPDSurvivor @Judi9877 @Snowie @Anastasia @petrichor @Clawde @nony @Lani @chibam @wellwellwellnez 

65 REPLIES 65

Re: 3 Books that have made an impact

I've read 2 books the kite runner and the painted man. Both were good and both had there challenges for the protagonist. I've also listened to audible on a numerous topics of discussion and found it helpful. All in all I think the books and audibles have helped me overcome some issues and realize that life is full of events and if you flip a coin it could land heads or tails, meaning that the possibility of good or bad things happening is the likely outcome of a flip of the coin. I hope I answered your question about the books I read and thought I'd put a personal touch on them @Rhye 

I use to love reading... kind of. Have shelves full of books that I'd love to read, but since I had ECT many many years ago, my ability to read and focus has been effected. I especially enjoyed reading autobiography type books, always found it encouraging to read how others have overcome adversity. 

One book that I did read was called The Lies we believe. its a book that I think would be really helpful for me to read again. We are conditioned so often to believe statements that produce emotional misery for us, such as 'I must be perfect' and 'my unhappiness is someone else's fault'... just 2 examples of beliefs that some people may hold. It was a real eye opener for me.

I wrote and had a book printed- obviously can't tell you about it! But have a title and have started on a second one. 

In the past year I have read 3 books by Australian Author, Kim Hodges who very bravely documents her struggles with her nental health. The books need a trigger warning but I found them helpful as Kim writes about the shame associated with her mental health.

The books are: 1. Girl on the Edge, 2. Girl Over the Edge, 3. Girl on the Ward

Prior to Covid Kim did Book tours where she visited many city and regional areas speaking about "Memoir Writing".

The other book I found interestingg this year was "Island Wife" by Judy Fairbairn. An interesting Autobiography about a family who buy property on an island off the coast of Scotland. While birthing and raising 5 children the author supports her Husband on their farm, turns their old home into a Guest House and goes to her Dr every winter for antidepressants only to return in the "summer" when the guests arrive to inform her Dr she hasnt time to be depressed. 

Thank you @Rhye , this thread sounds great! And thank you for the great reviews of your 3 books...I will look them all up! I don't have time to answer today but will be around on Christmas Day 🙂

Morning @Former-Member thank you for your thoughftful contribution and personal touch to the discussion Smiley Happy

Life certainly does throw some curve balls at times, and it really does feel like events which transpire can be as random as a flip of the coin. I think immersing yourself in a good book highlights a sense of shared humanity, to know we're not alone in struggle can be comforting in a way.

I've heard that the Kite Runner is a beautiful book. Did you see the movie adaptation? 

@Bow Sorry to jump straight to your last point but writing and having a book printed is amazing! How are you finding the process of writing your second one? Last year I started writing and if I'm honest, I found it quite challenging. There is a real discipline to it, so I applaud you for your dedication to stick with the process.

Your book recommendation sounds great too – I agree that we are easily conditioned to believe self-limiting beliefs of ourselves, and of others too. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a rough time with concentration/focus after the ECT. Is that a common side effect?

Wow @Bow You're an author! I'm so impressed. That's a great achievement and you should be really proud 😊

@Rhye Was such a easy book to read as it was well written but it's a sad story of a boy and his friend in Afghanistan and their journey 0pretty much and yeah saw the film to it too, the book was better in my opinion

Hey there @Eve7 thank you so much for sharing your book recommendations Smiley Happy

I'm certainly noticing a trend of late in Australian memoir writing, and it's so refreshing to see! It also provides us with an opportunity to meet the author too, which brings their work to life. Have you managed to catch Kim Hodges on her book/writing tours? I was lucky enough to attend a workshop with Rick Morton and it was a really rewarding experience. 

I just took at look at the Amazon review for Island Wife and it sounds like a great read. A passage in one of the reviews really resonated..."there is sadness and joy in the way she puts things back together". As I mentioned to @Former-Member, there is a shared humanity in memoir writing that can be so cathartic. 

Thanks again for sharing 💚

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.