Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Cold turkey

Decided to go off my meds. 

Lots of reasons. I know it's not wise, but it's what I have decided is right for me.  

How do I cope with the side effects of no meds and how long will it last? 

37 REPLIES 37

Re: Cold turkey

You do realise you are completely nuts doing this @Former-Member 😘😜. But you’re not the only one to do it. I went off an antidepressant that is notoriously bad for side effects coming off it. I got them but pushed through. Didn’t function for about three weeks. Pretty much bed ridden for the first week. 

On a serious note I know you have a few to come off. Just wanting you to reconsider how you do this. I just came off one and that was hard. 

Good to see you around. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I'm just sick of taking them and I'm not sure what things will be like without them.
I'm not sure I deserve to be happy. I'm a useless failure of a person and these meds are artificially making me feel something different. I am a bad person and I should feel that way. I should be aware of what I am.
I just want to make going off them less painful.

Hey gorgeous @Former-Member. I’ve known you for a bit.  When this thinking happens for you it’s often a sign things aren’t going so well. I also know it often happens around exam time when things are really stressful. The stress is high enough in my house now at uni exam time with my kids. I can imagine how hard it is for you too. It’s ok that the wheels fall off a bit now. Have you spoken to anyone about it? 

I really just want what’s best for you. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

The thing is, it feels so real. Like I've just been walking around with my eyes shut and only just opened them.
I'm starting to think I will always feel this way deep down. I'm too scared to tell anyone. I don't want to end up in hospital.

You know our brains can tell us all sorts of things @Former-Member. It doesn’t always mean it right. I’m not saying you are wrong either but I know with mi it gets really tricky sometimes to know what is real. Who do you trust in your mh team the most?  

I have to go for a bit but will check in again soon. 

Hey @Former-Member what are you up to? Are you at uni? Being nosy now. 

PS hoping I wasn’t too direct before. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to try to fetch my foot out my mouth lately. :face_with_rolling_eyes:🤦‍♀️

Former-Member
Not applicable

I don't really know. Probably my psychiatrist.
But she doesn't really understand. All this effort all these meds just blind me to the truth. I think I'm better of being unmedicated and retreat from the world. I can't hurt anyone that way.

What would her response be to going off meds for a trial? I get that you’d like to know what it’s like to be unmedicated. I don’t experience the meds you do so I can’t comment. I just imagine that sometimes you want to know what the unmedicated you is like. I just think it’s pretty dangerous to go off without supervision or people knowing. 

What would you hope for being off them ? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

It's more that I don't deserve to be on them. They are just making me think I'm a better person than I am.
I'm scum. I should be fully and emotionally cognizant of that. I deserve to feel badly. I don't deserve to be happy. I'm a bad failure of a person. I'm just lying to myself.
Why take meds when all they do is mask what shit I am.
My psych would never let me go off them.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.