Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Needsomehelp
Casual Contributor

Depression and anxiety

I am looking for a place to talk with other parents or carers about how they cope with there child having depression and anxiety. As I am doing everything I can to help her but I am so worried about her all the time I am not sleeping and I feel helpless as I am sure others do and I would like tips on what you do when you feel this way. Thanks Needsomehelp.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Depression and anxiety

Hi @Needsomehelp ,

Sorry to hear that your child is having depression and anxiety. We read you are doing everything you can to help her. This must be so upsetting to see your own child struggling. It is understandable you want to do everything in your power to help her.

How old is your child?

My daughter is 16.

Hi @Needsomehelp ,

Is your daughter willing to link into services like ReachOut, Headspace, or KidsHelpline?

I do believe ReachOut have a parent coaching service available where parents have a 1:1 session with parents to better support their children.

Another thing. Do you think you worrying is also affecting your daughter? Do you think she can sense that you are worried?

She has been to headspace for her intake session. I now will take her to a GP to start the process of a Mental health care plan but we are going away and won't be able to do that till we get back which worrys me a bit also as I would like to just get her help started but this trip has been booked for a long time. I do my worrying when she is not around.

Hi @Needsomehelp,

I'm really sorry to read what you and your daughter are going through. I am an emotional carer for a family member that was diagnosed with a serious mental health issues many years ago. Outside my family member's professional team I am their only support so I know somewhat how hard and exhausting it can be. I am also the mum of three - two in their early 20s and one that is 12 so from a mum's perspective I understand how much you must worry and be concerned. 

Being a carer can be a confusing, heartbreaking, and lonely place. Whilst I totally understand your concern for your daughter I would also encourage you to get some support for yourself because you need care in all this too. I will link in a couple of organisation that you may find helpful:

Carer Gateway 

Carers Australia

The SANE Support Centre is also available to support you free of charge from 10am-10pm Monday to Friday. We have counsellors and peer support workers available to support you via phone (1800 187 263) or webchat.

We also have the SANE Guided service which is our new guided service that provides free digital and telehealth services and ongoing tailored support to people over 18 years of age with complex mental health needs and their families and carers SANE Guided Service

One of my older children went through some pretty bad depression and anxiety a couple of years ago (they were in senior school during the COVID lockdowns). As someone that is trained in counselling it was really frustrating and difficult for me not be able to communicate with my child. No matter what I said they just bottled up - I felt like my hands were tied. I remember saying to them that I understood they needed their space and time but let them  know I was always there if they needed me. Sometimes as much as we want to help the ones we love giving them space to work things through themselves, in their own time, whilst being their soft place to fall if they need it can be what they need.

In my child's case they also sought help from their GP. Over time things did get better for them and I really hope that things get better for you daughter and for you very soon.

I wish you both all the best.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.