Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Peer Group Chat // The Place of Perfectionism // Thursday 30th March 2023, 7-8:30PM AEDT

Hey everyone!

On Thursday 30th of March 2023, we will be holding a Peer Group Chat on the topic of The Place of Perfectionism.

amber22_8-1679609448858.gif

Perfectionism can seem like a positive quality, such as when it motivate us to be the best we can be. However, it can also create a lot of pressure for us, and get in the way of doing things if we’re setting up unreasonably high standards for ourselves. Whether its learned, arisen from trauma, or developed in another way, perfectionism can have a negative impact on our mental health when it pops up in the wrong place or at the wrong time. Let’s come together to talk about the place of perfectionism.   

The event start times across Australia are below:

amber22_3-1679609082050.png

This is currently held in daylight savings hours:

WA: 4pm 
NT: 5:30pm

SA: 6:30pm 

QLD: 6pm

NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS: 7pm 

For anyone unfamiliar with Peer Group Chats, each focuses on a specific topic and is guided by Peer Workers with lived experience of mental health issues and recovery, &/or caring for someone with complex mental health. A counsellor is also present as a moderator to help ensure a safe environment for individuals and the group. It is a space for us as peers to share our stories and experiences, and connect with those who are going through something similar. 

Anyone is welcome to join! Tagging some members who may be interested below:

@CatMom  @Snowie @Shaz51 @Captain24 @Laura4 @creative_writer @Adge @Jacques @tonys @CatMom @Bobbie @sammy3 @justanotherguy @Owlunar @tonys @Shaz51 @creative_writer @Laura4 @mamabear88 @Jacques @Sophia1 @NatureLover @Appleblossom @Dimity  @LeChuck @StuF @Smiling_Gecko @sammy3 @BlueBay @wellwellwellnez

Peer Group Chats are hosted outside of the forums, using a platform called Chatwee. 

To join an Online Peer Group and participate, you will need to register for an account with Chatwee.
To access the group to observe only and not participate, you can access Chatwee as a Guest.
On the night, follow this link to access Chatwee before the group starts.
You can join our Peer Group Chats every Thursday from 7:00-8:30pm (AEDT). Check out the FAQs page for more information.  

We hope to see you there 😊 If you can't make it but are interested, you can always catch up reading the transcript afterwards here. We also invite you to continue the conversation below on this thread if you can't make the night but also wish to contribute some of your responses. We will post some dot point prompts on the day that can get the conversation started if you're unable to make the live event!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Peer Group Chat // The Place of Perfectionism // Thursday 30th March 2023, 7-8:30PM AEDT

Perfectionism.----  ohh @amber22 my mr shaz  is totally this 

thanks @hanami  xxxx

Re: Peer Group Chat // The Place of Perfectionism // Thursday 30th March 2023, 7-8:30PM AEDT

Totally relate @Shaz51 . As a kid I was a bit of a perfectionist. I was an A student all through primary school. When high school wasn't such a breeze for me and I started getting Bs and lower grads (still very passable tbh) I really felt it like a blow to my self-esteem. 

❤️

I really felt it like a blow to my self-esteem. ---- awww very true @hanami but i am interested how you went on xx

I only did to grade 10 as my mum and aunty said i would not cope with bus travel to do grade 11 and 12 

how are you now ? 

mr shaz is not happy with the first attempt , he will keep going 

Naw, thanks @Shaz51 . I struggled on and really loathed high school. Went back to uni as a mature age student and put much less pressure on myself. I still like things a certain way and am often hesitant to try new things as I worry I won't be good enough. But having four kids made me much less likely to aim for perfectionism. They gave me a good lesson in 'keeping it real' lol.

I still like things a certain way --- @hanami , I think this is good in many ways xx

ha ha yes children do that -- have you still got the 4 children at home ( i forgot if you have told me this before ) sorry 

i am a step mum of 4  and all mine are grown up now 

Doing Childcare made a big difference to me , taught me lots of things over the years 

I can't remember if you've asked me @Shaz51 haha. I find myself saying that a lot these days to family - Have I told you this already....lol. 

I have my youngest daughter (19) still here. Could have my son (24) return soon as he has gone back to study at uni (teaching). He is struggling to pay for rent while doing it but he really doesn't want to come back as he enjoys having his own place....so time will tell!

Hi Everyone, 

Just a reminder that the next Online Peer Group Chat on The Place of Perfectionism will take place tonight from 7-8:30pm AEDT.  As always, for ease of reference, times across Australia are in the graphic and listed below: 

TideisTurning_0-1680149511942.png

Western Australia: 4pm 

Northern Territory: 5:30pm 

South Australia: 6:30pm 

Queensland: 6pm 

New South Wales, Victoria, Australian Capital Territory & Tasmania: 7pm 

Tonight, you can expect discussion about

• What perfectionism might look like in your life and it’s impacts 
  •  Perfectionistic tendencies and their origins 
  •  Standards that we set for ourselves and others + expressions of perfectionism 

Tagging members who have supported or otherwise interacted with the thread so far as well as those who may be interested to receive a reminder: @Shaz51 @Snowie @Appleblossom @Captain24 @Jacques @Owlunar @Birdofparadise8 @Former-Member @Bobbie @wellwellwellnez @MDT @chibam 
Hope you can make it. To join us, head here, or, for those interested but unable to join live, a transcript will be made available after the event here. Feel free to continue the conversation below on this thread too 🙂 

Hi Everyone, 

Just a reminder that this Peer Group Chat on the topic of The Place of Perfectionism will be starting very soon, in around 20 minutes at 7PM AEDT! Tagging those who have interacted with the thread and who may be online and/or interested to receive a reminder 😊 @Shaz51 @Snowie @Captain24 @Halaxy @Birdofparadise8 @Oaktree @SmilingGecko @StuF @creative_writer @shradzy @Kyle1 @tisme @tashheritage22 @greenpea @Dahlia100 

Hope you can make it. To join us, head here, or, for those interested but unable to join live, a transcript will be made available after the event here. Feel free to continue the conversation below on this thread too 🙂

As a little extra about perfectionism, something I've  heard recently is about a possible link between perfectionism and impostor syndrome (more on imposter syndrome here)- the theory being that perfectionism or perfectionistic tendencies can lead to or increase feelings of impostor syndrome. I'm really curious if anyone here has any thoughts about that. @Shaz51 @hanami @FloatingFeather @tonys @amber22 @7cough9 @Jacques &/or anyone else reading along who'd like to contribute? 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.