Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

jamesle2015
Senior Contributor

anyone here work in retail?

Anyone got any 'stories' to tell...

Without mentioning names of course

11 REPLIES 11
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: anyone here work in retail?

You’re most unhappy customers are you’re greatest source of learning :ok_hand:

Sounds like you've had some interesting experiences @jamesle2015 @Former-Member

How do you find working in retail when things are tough mental health wise?

Well basically you have to fake it until you make it when you are going through personal things @Margot Talk & invest in the client, avoid talking about yourself & you’re problems. It’s about the client or customer..

That sounds so difficult @Former-Member. I imagine it requires a really good ability to manage your emotions which can be quite tough to do. Is that something you can relate to too @jamesle2015? What did you find helpful in being able to manage emotions in that environment?

Sometimes though I haven’t been able to control it. A couple of times I have had flashbacks then balled my eyes out after leaving the treatment. Some clients talk about their experiences which I can relate to if they have had similar trauma. It’s very hard.

I used to be able to work on make clients now though I ask the girls if they can do it which makes me feel guilty but I just can’t now @Margot

Male*

It's really scary to have those experiences at work @Former-Member. It's impossible to manage our emotions 100% of the time too and I actually think you've demonstrated a lot of wisdom there in knowing your limits and asking your colleagues for help when you need it. What kinds of things do you think people working in retail can do to support their colleagues experiencing mental health issues?

Ask how they are feeling @Margot & if there is anything they can do to help with less judgement. Be a friend not just a worker, be willing to be a team player to help the work place run more effectively and if an employee does open up to you and tell you personal things they may be experiencing keep it confidential, don’t run their mouth because they haven’t experienced it or have the same mental illness! 👍

That’s something I have wanted to get out of my system for quite a while lol so thank you @Margot

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.