Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ferngully
Casual Contributor

Advice for navigating NSW public mental health system

My loved one is back in hospital again - the fourth time in 2 months. It is sad and heartbreaking. I'm hoping with this admission we can set things on a better path. Everyone involved feel out of their depth. We get bounced around between different people and it feels like no one who answers the phone can help. It's distressing for our loved one trying to seek help and it's becoming clear that the carers have to be the ones to advocate for support or for anything to happen. 

• Are there any good resources for how to navigate the mental health system in NSW?
  • Who are the professionals that should be involved?
  • Who should people talk to to give information to help guide the team?
  • Who are the advocates or how can we advocate?
  • Tips for communicating with the hospital?  
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Advice for navigating NSW public mental health system

Hi @ferngully  I don’t have too much to say, but I think your first point of call would be to speak with the nurse unit manager. The psych ward that I have been in, they always have a morning hand over meeting, so any information you give to nurses should be passed on to treating doctors. 

Is your loved one in a position to advocate for themself? 

From my experience it can be difficult to catch the psychiatrist, but you can always ask for them to give you a call. Or depending where you are located and what the current restrictions are at the hospital, you could ask to attend an appointment so that you can be involved and advocate for your loved one. 

hope there is something of use there. 

Hi @ferngully I’ve always found it useful to speak to the Social Worker assigned to your loved one. Nursing staff are good at reading the notes of the day but social workers tend to have more one on one time with the patient and have more insight into their needs. He/she will also relay info onto the treating psychiatrist. I’ve also found it’s best to call the hospital after lunch as always very busy during morning routines. A good Social Worker will keep you updated and will take your points of view into consideration. Hope this helps 🙏

I’ve been bounced around the public system trying to access the most appropriate care for my 16 year old daughter also. I have found it very challenging at times. In desperation I even tried an inpatient stay for her in a private adolescent mental health unit where she was discharged early as she was unable to refrain from self harm.

Each admission, each appointment, each ED presentation was tough but I can look back and see that every incident shed new light on her condition / put me in touch with a new professional  / opened a door to a new service etc. I have found it useful over the last few years to reflect back on  where we started and what has been achieved so far. It has also been very useful to keep a journal detailing all the appointments/ admissions/ medication details and who you spoke with / advice given etc. Its very easy to lose track of all the information. Referring back to this journal, I have been able to compile a timeline of events in my daughter’s mental health care journey which has been extremely useful for her current care team.

I wish you strength 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.