Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jem1
Contributor

Dbt and Bpd

Hi there all,

I would like to ask if anyone here has gone through or going through Dbt with regard to Bpd and their experience with this type of therapy? I have long suffered from this illness and Ive had enough of the extreme ups and downs that have plagued my everyday life.

Thank you for reading x

3 REPLIES 3
nashy
Senior Contributor

Re: Dbt and Bpd

Hey there @Jem1 thanks so much for posting, am sorry to hear about the constant ups and downs - it's a lot to ride out no doubt 🙂 You're not alone in this community, some of our members have done a stellar job of finding balance with their BPD diagnosis, many of which through DBT therapy itself. It's so good you're looking into this, no doubt a few members will stop in soon and share their experience.

Do you know much about it at all? There's a really cool video with a bit of an overview here 😄 

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hello @Jem1 

Dealing with mental health stuff is very draining.

@Zoe7  has done some DBT.  She may not be able ton reply immediately as she is back at work, but she has a great way of relating and explaining things.

Smiley Happy

Hi @Jem1  I don't have BPD but am doing the DBT program. It is a really great program that can help you deal with your emotions and learn ways to regulate them. Much of what we go through in each module is not foreign to us but it puts it all into persepctive and allows us to work throuogh specific skills each week. We naturally find ones that work best for us and in time *and with practice) they become more second nature.

I am currently on my second round of modules - the first couple of modules I didn't take much in at all but persisted and am now getting a lot more out of it. Whilst it is a course targetted specifically with people with BPD it is a course that is (in my opinion) beneficial for anyone who has strong emotions  and finds it hard to moderate them from the extreme ups or downs. It has been most beneficial for me in learning how to cope more readily with the 'downs' and finding ways to adjust both my thinking and behaviour when confronted with things that would previously completely floored me.

If you are thinking of doing the program then I would highly recommend it. Sometimes these programs are not for everyone but if you find an empathetic group that you can be part of with this program then you also begin to make connections with people that are going through similar things as you. 

I am going to tag in @Sans911 as she has done the course as well and @Snowie who is just starting it. 

If you have any further questions then feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the tag here @Appleblossom  Hope you are travelling okay as well Hon Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.