Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

strong
Senior Contributor

Disassociation, lost hours.

Hi, I’ve just discovered this site and have read a few discussions and I am amazed and encouraged by how supportive and open everyone is here.

I am working through complex PTSD with a Psychiatrist and also a Psychologist using CBD, also Exposure Therapy and now I have started on EMDR. 

We have taken a little while to get to the EMDR as I disassociate quite badly. During my sessions I will walk out of the clinic, I have no recollection of these lapses, I just ‘awaken’ and I am somewhere else.

This happens to me during the day, I lose a lot of hours, it is quite frightening.

Sometimes I can hear the disassociation coming like a rushing or wind blowing hard through the trees, but, a lot of the time I don’t feel it come.  I often awaken in very unsafe situations.

This has made it very difficult during my treatment, as I literally just take off.

is there anyone who experiences this, and how do they cope or reduce the incidence of it happening?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Disassociation, lost hours.

Hi @strong.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I know some of the members here experience dissociation, although I don't have any experience with it myself. 

Is it something that you've discussed with the therapist that you're doing EMDR with? 

Hi @TheVorticon, thanks for the welcome 😊

Yes, this is definitely something my Psychologist knows about. It is something she recognises during a session and is very good at talking me through it or just staying with me in support. It is my ‘alone’ time that is my biggest concern, I don’t have the ability to control it, as I struggle to even recognise that I am on the verge of disassociation.

i have never spoken to anyone else who has experienced disassociation, I know how odd it all sounds to others. But, it would be nice not to feel so isolated and hear how others cope.

Glad to hear that it's something you can work with your psychologist with @strong. Did they have any ideas about how you might recognise it coming on?

I've heard people mention "grounding objects" before... Like keeping a fidget toy or something textured like a stone in their pocket, and using that as a way to check-in with their senses and body regularly throughout the day. Have you tried anything like that? Although it wouldn't be an instant fix, I'm wondering if it might be something that could help over time.

Hi @TheVorticon

A rock is exactly what I keep with me, I also keep a citrus based hand cream close to try and keep me grounded. 

When I am vigilant about being focused on my surroundings I can use these ‘tools’. It is really hard to keep that focus up all of the time, that is when I seem to ‘slip’.

Do you mind me asking you @TheVorticon what you use as your calming or controlling your emotions when you’re feeling overwhelmed? 

Oh awesome @strong, the rock and handcream sound helpful, although I'm sorry I couldn't come up with anything different to suggest.
Sure I'm happy to answer - I use intentionally slow breaths as a first step, followed by a change of scenery and mini break second (e.g. go get a cup of water/milk/tea, head to the bathroom, sit on the floor etc. depending on where I am and what I'm meant to be doing). Some light stretching is something I do as well. From there it really depends what sort of overwhelmed feeling it is.

That sounds a soothing routine, stretching is something I hadn’t thought about as a calming technique, but I could see the benefit, thanks for the idea.

Meditation I guess would be an extension of stretching, is this something you’ve tried or do as part of your overall well-being? It is something I’ve never tried, not sure if it is too quiet, if that makes sense?

it appeals to me to be calm and centred, it would take a lot to achieve that point I am imagining.

Have you or anyone got any suggestions on starting out with meditation? I am too far from town to go to a gym.

Hey @strong.

No problemo.
I have tried meditation a few times, and sometimes find it helpful but it's not one of my go-to's.

There's a bunch of different types of meditation. When I do it, I like to follow along with the guided mindfulness meditations from Smiling Mind, and those are really the only ones I've tried.

If you have a smartphone, there's a free Smiling Mind app for andriod & iOS. There's lots of different meditation activities targeted for different age groups (but I don't mind doing the younger age group ones as well sometimes) and going for different lengths, and ranging from things to mindful listening, feeling, or even mindful tasting/eating.

Thank you @TheVortico for those app ideas. I appreciate your help.

i hope you have a great weekend. 😊

hello @strong, @TheVorticon

hope your weekend was ok ,

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.