Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Daisies
Contributor

How did people respond/behave after an attempt?

Would anyone like to share their experience (or direct me to a place to read) about how family/friends behaved in the weeks following a s. attempt? 

In a text convo with hubby, they said 'people are afraid of (me) and my volatility' and that I blame-shift. I feel betrayed because hubby is discussing me behind my back. 

I feel like I'm drowning in emotional pain with no one to support me as they are all observing from the outside - like - don't poke the bear. 

what is your experience?

16 REPLIES 16

Re: How did people respond/behave after an attempt?

Hi @Daisies , I thought it might be helpful to pop in here and acknowledge the raw emotions you're describing and wanting to speak to someone who understands.  The forums are a great place to talk to other like minded members, however you can also call Suicide Call Back Service to have a chat about this and speak to someone professionally (you don't have to be in crisis to get support).  Their number is 1300 659 467.  

Also we published a blog post on this topic a while back, but it's still pretty relevant and thought it might be helpful too.  Here it is blog article 

Take care @Daisies and hope you get to speak to someone soon and get the support, it sounds like you need and deserve.  

@Daisies 

I would have asked "Are you okay?".

There is actually a website on this: https://www.ruok.org.au/ 

Reach out if you feel like it, otherwise just vent on this forum. There are many who care and probably went through similar experience as you did. 

I would have thought those around you seemed to be wary as they are just not sure on how to respond. They may not have the emotional depth to understand your emotional needs and thus missing an empathical response much needed when you are down. They may not wish to aggravate you further and think a bit of space will help to calm yourself down. Once you're ok, they will be back to normal.

But sometimes you may need people to be there when you're having a breakdown but they are giving the wide berth instead... 

If you feel those around you aren't the best people to help you through the drama, find others who can instead. Who knows you may make new friends who helps you ride the rough wave? I went to a support group and they bonded kinship which many said is more healing than the psychologist's sessions. But I also wish to note that isn't a reason to avoid the health professionals. There are many who genuinely care too, and they could guide you in the right direction. Smiley Happy

Not sure if this resonates with you, but I hope you are ok.

Take care! Smiley Happy 

@Daisies  I’m dropping off some support.

My experiences were negative, which I don’t think would be helpful to share.

Some of the info @Lilaca  has shared is positive and worth thinking about if you have the energy to do it.

Listening, sending caring thoughts. 💜💜💜

@Maggie thankyou!

@Lilaca  yes that resonated and encouraged me. thankyou

@Rainforest  thankyou for 'hearing' me! and yes that blog article is great! thankyou.

Hi @Daisies . I'm sorry that you attempted, are you ok and are you safe? I haven't attempted myself, but I'm thinking about it a lot more than usual lately, but I won't go there.

& just a reminder to put an @ in front of someone's username so they get a notification

@Former-Member 

oopsie -thanks for that tip.

my attempts were 5 weeks ago and I don't have a method of preference available to me at present so yeah...I'm safe. Hurting, aching, but safe 😛

@Daisies I'm sorry you attempted, whether it was recent or not. I can't imagine how bad you must feel to atempt, sigh. I'm glad you're safe now though. Anything I can do?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.