Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Everan
Senior Contributor

Interacting with schizophrenia

I have schizophrenia. I have started a new job.

I put myself in a fight and flight response a lot of the time. I need to find a safe place mentally to talk and interact with others. I have read the special event forum on creating and maintaining connection.

Does anyone know anything about this or able to help?

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Interacting with schizophrenia

@Everan Hi Everan I contributed to the forum. I have bipolar 1 with schizoaffective disorder. It was an interesting talk that we had. I find it hard to maintain friendships as I cannot be bothered half the time or am too paranoid the other part. 

Medication has helped immensely with my fight response ... as for flight it is always there in the background.

Hello @Everan

Its great you have a job. 

Finding ways to express and connect has helped a lot of people on this forum.  Sometimes its the return of the same "faces" or posters that makes a difference.  Sometimes its reading a story that strikes a strong chord within.

Schizophrenia is a difficult condition to manage, so all kudos to you for managing work.

Smiley Happy

Hi mate, have you gotten diagnoised with a sleep disorder?

I don’t want to go crazy.

I find that when I am around other people I behave differently.

I don’t like not enjoying conversations. I don’t like appearing not smart.

I struggle to interact and think on my feet.

Also not getting into personal battles helps.

I read if i turn the struggle switch off this helps.

I want to do more self compassion to increase the soothing systems.

Does anyone relate or have any ideas?

@Everan I agree with you about avoiding personal battles, tho that can be a challenge when lots of people have all sorts of strong opinions and want me to agree with them.

It has taken a long while to be able to hold my own in conversations and not get bulldozed.  

The only way to get better at thinking on my feet has been to practise it, and practising here has been great.  I often overthink, but am staying in the thick of things.

CHeers Apple

Thanks @Appleblossom. It helps to hear from you. I am just beginning the journey of talking to others (avoiding doesn't work).

@Everan I am not isolated at the moment but in the past I was. Isolation is very difficult.  Avoidance sometimes can be wise, but human beings are all over the place, and if we dont connect then bad feelings can arise ....  

How is your work?

Yes i feel out of place when i am not connecting with others.

Work is okay. I really need to connect with others to do better.   

I forgot to tag you @Appleblossom.

I gave a very short reply above.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.