Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: My rambling page

Hi there @Gillie1 ,

You know that what is happening is quite 'normal'? When things are tough, we draw on the support and expertise of others, just like the way you have reached out. It's okay to rely on others - for a time.

This was my noticing as I journeyed from reliance to independence:

As I became more aware of what worked and what didn't work for me, I was then able to pick and chose the strategies I wanted to practice. This was the part no one could do for me. As I practiced, I became better at it so that when there was a trigger, I was able to utilise the strategies.

The more this happened, the less reliant on others i became. Now I find that when I have a trigger, I naturally turn to these strategies (e.g. deep breathing) without even having to think twice.

One of the most powerful resources that gave me the understanding behind the strategies I was employing were Dr Russ Harris' youtube clips. They are underpinned by ACT. This may be of interest to you:

https://youtu.be/rCp1l16GCXI

@tyme 

Thanks time. I used to have some understanding of the concept but scaling it up to where things have been going lately has been too big of a step. In some ways parting from my old therapist has made me reasses everything. And the good and bad that comes with that. It would be good to look more into ACT again. I guess with everything in Flux change doesn't need to involve as much of the old fear as uncertainty is the new normal.

I'll think and explore further. 

Today I wanted to start with practising gratitude.

I wanted to thank god the universe and sane for providing a safe space for us to share and support each other.

I have tried out a few quotes this morning but I'll just settle with thanks.

Couldn't resist. Quote for the day.

There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do.Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

"There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this"

Yes true I was tossing whether I could genuinely say that one?I'm working on that but not today. It's important to let go to move forward too. 

The struggle is knowing when it's safe. When I have felt unsafe for so long. Letting go of anger, resentment, pain, history, isn't insurmountable right now. 

Holding on to my future would be great Holding onto myself even better. The thing is it will take time to let go of my fear. It will take time to know that people will believe in me and not hurt me. I need to hold onto some of my fears to protect myself. I don't feel safe enough  strong enough, to let go of my walls. Not yet.

Holding onto me right now is the best in can do. 

Pratchett has some good ones doesn't he?

The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues. —from Moving Pictures

"If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become part of someone else's..."

The romantic in me likes the idea of being part of someone's story. The 'new' me winces at how much that can burn! ...

Very interesting @Kyle1 

@tyme  how so?..

Feel free to share your thoughts! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.