Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lemonjuice
Senior Contributor

New shrink.

I saw a new shrink today, for the second time in two months...waiting for him to get a permanent spot for me.  I don't know, I don't feel a connection there, but it's only the second appointment so not sure.  Some of the issues are that he does psychodynamic/analysis, which suits me and my needs, however, he's an hour away from home.  When eventually I do get a place it will mean going back and forth two to three times a week.  Then there's gap fees, hopefully he will not charge me a lot, now he is bulk-billing me.  Then there are his quirks.  He's in a nice new office building, with some three rooms and he has them packed with books, boxes and really old furniture.  It looks like he's halfway through packing.  His secretary has no computer and she uses the old Medicare swipe machine to put through bulk-bill forms.  Lol, he even looks like he is trapped in the 70s and his office furniture is probably from that period too.  I am trying to overlook all that cause sometimes eccentricity means genius. The thing that has me worried though is the last time and today, he saw me late and finished our session early.  I'm use to the 50 minute session, but each time I got about 35-40 minutes.  He also told me, almost in a whining way how I didn't look enthusiastic about therapy, like I was suppose to be giving a pep talk.  I'm freaking depressed and have lost faith in healing, future, everyone and everything, sorry I didn't consider his needs.  Anyways, see how things go.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: New shrink.

Ah @Lemonjuice 

That sounds really bleak - and hey - sis - you are not there to consider his needs - you are there for help for your needs and it seems a really cold sort of environment from what you say

Eccentricity might mean genius but if you don't feel okay about it - that's not good and something I think a disorganised environment might not make me open up either. It concerns me too that he told you you don't seem enthusiastic about therapy.

Ah - now I know some of your story and you have been there and back over the last couple of years and life has not been kind to you in many ways - I am sure that you are not meant to pop in there with a lot of bubbly energy and make him feel better.

You have a choice here - you can wait and see how things go - you can tell him how cutting sessions short made you feel and tell him also that you are not enthusiastic about anything at this stage of your life. That's why you are looking for help - feeling depressed because of the tough journey you have had over the last - what - at least 2 years I think - that would be how long I have known you

Or you can just keep looking for someone more helpful - someone who will listen to you - be more enthusiastic about your therapy. 

I was in psycholanalysis for years Lemon - years! An hour three times a week and two trains or a long drive to get there - the therapist was a very kind man who really cared and that made a whole lot of difference - his office was comfortable - big easy chairs - big bookcases - not loaded with books though - and the sun would come in on sunny days and this kind of setting makes a huge difference. He helped me a lot and maybe the actual analysis did assist me in dealing with my tough life at the time - mainly it was his attitude which was calm and kind and he really did listen

I wish you the best with this - it does seem unwelcoming and we need to feel comfortable when we talk about our inner life

Dec

@Owlunar Hi, I decided to see him a couple of times more, cause I would like to some blood tests to rule out some health issues effecting my emotions and thinking.  Once I get the results, I will get him to put me on a waiting list and I will check out another couple of therapists that I just found who work in the field of DID, trauma.🤞

That sounds like a plan @Lemonjuice 

I hope it works out - all the best

Dec

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Lemonjuice . Best of luck with the new "shrink" as you called them, I hope you feel safe and that you can trust them, and that they're a good fit for you. Thinking of you, take care.

I understand how difficult it is to find a good therapist, I've been there.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.