Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Nursie
New Contributor

Therapist thinks I need space from my bf

I am a registered nurse who’s in-between jobs and really enjoying the extra time I’m getting w my bf. My psychiatrist and therapist (he does both) is pushing me to get a part time job in the evening so I can practice functioning on my own, without my boyfriend or a close friend (I tend to cling and “use them to feel stable in my identity” or something). My bf is a little clingy too and we both just want to enjoy this time. I’ve been miserable for so long and am finally enjoying myself. Do I follow my shrink’s instructions? He’s never led me astray but has always pushed for space between my bf and me, even though we have a relatively peaceful and very happy relationship...

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Therapist thinks I need space from my bf

Hi @Nursie, welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

If it was me in your situation, I would follow what feels right inside myself. That would be spending time with your boyfriend and enjoying things while that is happening. Your therapist may believe that you and your boyfriend are 'co-dependent'. Personally, I've never liked that term as it implies that humans can be completely independent, when it seems clear to me that interdependency is how we all live.

I may be giving you dodgy advice though. I am not an expert. These are just words from a fellow mental illness sufferer, who believes that taking joy when it comes is the way to go.

Wishing you the best. 

Thank you friend! I know, bc of my problems sometimes I have a hard time deciphering whether my instincts are looking out for me or not. I appreciate your input ☺️

You're welcome, @NursieSmiley Happy

I too have great respect for my psychiatrist, who I've been seeing for the past three years. But I think it's important in all therapy that we are the ones in the driving seat of our own lives. To me, a psychiatrist is an advisor, or maybe a kind of collaborator in helping me navigate a tricky path through life with mental illness. But still I believe we are the only ones who can make the final decision on what's right for ourselves. If the worst happens, and it turns out we made the wrong decision, hopefully the psychiatrist will still be there to help us get back on track. Well wishes to you! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.