Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sakurapuss
Senior Contributor

When is the time right for ECT?

Early on this year I had a great paying government job but it came with a sneaky underhanded boss who put me down at every opportunity.  This really played with my head and set off my depression and anxiety. It got to a point where I would start shaking when I got in the car in the mornings to go to work and I would get panic attacks in the car park.  So I quit for my sanity's sake.  I was reliant on my other job as a supermarket shelf stacker to make ends meet but it just wasn't enough.  After months and months of looking I got a job with a tour desk company but again the boss didn't like me and complained I wasn't fitting in or getting my work done.  After a conversation I had with her it was decided I wasn't right for the job. Right then and there. So now it's back to job hunting again around the night job which often finishes at 3am.  How does one find a job if you're either at work or sleeping?  I've had to rely on sleeping tablets when I'm not working to keep the insomnia at bay and my stress levels are through the roof.  My psych suggested another round of electroconvulsive therapy.  It worked last time but it did bad things to my memory.  What do you think?  Is there another option?  I'm on meds for depression and anxiety and a mood stabiliser.  I've tried most antidepressants but I can't seem to find the right one.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: When is the time right for ECT?

@Sakurapuss  Hi, only you can make decisions about when and what treatment is best for you but personaly i take a few different approaches when problem sloving around issues like this. 

1) what kind of issue am i having?

I try and identify if the issue that is causing the problem is internal (my mental health) or external (outside stress/issues). if it were me in this situation i would say that the cause of the issue is external, as the issue started after losing the job and remains centering around employment. 

2) what is kind of solution should i try?

once I know what the problem is that then influences the kind of solution I would look for. for example if my stress was as a result of my studies at university then I would look for ways to try and reduce my workload or shift what i have to do so that i dont have too many things on at the same time. essentially I would look for external solutions to external problems and internal solutions to internal problems. of course this can be diffcult depending on individual circumstnaces. but i find if you are feeling sad because you feel lonely then taking a tablet isnt going to bring you friends or human connection even if you do feel depressed sometimes taking the wrong approach can have a bandaid effect and not get anywhere near the cause of the issue. this can distract you from finding a more long term solution. If the problem doesnt have any identifiable external causes that is when I would be seeking options like meds or medical treatments. this is just my approach and you know you best so do what you feel will work for you but perhaps it might be helpful for you do do a pros and cons list or break it down a bit more.... 

Thanks @Eden1919 you have a very practical way of sorting things out.  I'll give the pros and cons list a go and see what I come up with

hey @Sakurapuss that all sounds super stressful with your bosses. Well done for surviving it. I am currently on sick leave because one of my managers stressed me out so bad. I don't know if I'll feel strong enough after the break to deal with her or if I'll have to resign. My psychotic symptoms are triggered every time I think of her. Urgh.

I've never had ECT. I have a friend who found it helpful in the short-medium term but it gave her memory problems. For weeks she kept asking me, "I'm so sorry I don't know your name? I've had ECT." 

I can't imagine how tough nite shift is. I'm only capable of casual shifts during the day. I use meds & supplements to sleep, otherwise I don't sleep. I'm guessing it's impossible to take care of yourself by exercising & eating well. 

It sounds like you're really in a tough bind. I've got 2 casual jobs but got them from a position of volunteering only, so I had loads of time to job search & interview. I don't know how you'll find a new job whilst you're working nite shift. 

What benefit do you think ECT will provide? In my experience you need to be sharp to job search, write job applications & interview successfully. You also need to have a working memory so you can give examples of demonstrated skills (both in job applications and interviews).

Do you have any room to move? Can your GP certify you some time off? I'm currently certified off even tho I don't get sick pay, it's just to protect my reputation so I don't have to disclose MI to my supervisor.

I hope at least you feel you're not alone in these truggles. It really is hard what yopu're dealing with.

So today marks session 11 out of 12 of ECT for me which is my second round.  I was apprehensive at first but I noticed feeling better almost straight away.  There is a downside to the short term memory loss but if that's the price to pay then I will happily undergo more.  Tomorrow I have an appointment to decide whether monthly maintenance will be required or not.  I'm happy either way.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.