Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

Why? possible TW

why is there no avenue for me to seek compensation for what happened to me at the hands of the mental health system? and i am not talking about money i dont give a crap about money i want an appology and a promise that they will never hurt me or anyone else ever again. i want to be able to feel safe again i want the constant threat of their abuse to stop hanging over my head simply because some doctor decided i am not "normal" i want to not cry and shake everytime i pass a hospital. i want to not be pyhsically sick before doctors appontments. i want the nightmares to stop. i want to be able to express my feelings without be threatened with being sent there again. i want to BE safe not just feel it. i want them to not be able to hurt me even from a distance. why is their abuse legal does no one care of the effect their so called treatment is having why are they allowed to ruin my life and be paid to do it? why cant i make the sinking feeling and the fear of them go away? why do i feel like it is my fault even though it was forced? why cant i stop crying about it? why?  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Why? possible TW

@Eden1919  Hi Eden1919 I know exactly what you are talking about. My psychiatrist has said that if I don't take the exact amount of medications perscribed (which make me sleepy and overweight) she will put me in public hands which means depot injections and hospital visits which I dread..... I never want to go to hospital again.  So I am being forced to take these meds which I hate for the reasons stated above.

I am going to tag @Former-Member  in re compensation etc as she is very clued up on where to go to get services and might have an idea on who you could contact re compensation (I hope you don't mind Darcy :)). 

I hope that you get the responses that you are looking for regarding your compensation from these institutions but am not hopeful. Take good care of yourself Eden1919. Love greenpea xxx

Former-Member
Not applicable

Good morning @Eden1919  and @greenpea 

I am not a solicitor and this is not legal advice and is my general understanding.

The basic premise of law is that to get compensation (or an apology) you need to be able to prove that negligence (or wrong) occurred; this may or may not be easy to do.

Achieving change in process is usually only possible if failings are proven.

Most hospitals have a complaints process clearly set out on their websites but usually suggest first approaching the hospital/department first, if unresolved the Health Complaints Ombudsman would be the next port of call.

Former-Member
Not applicable

PS @Eden1919  @greenpea @

Having someone advocate on your behalf is often a better option as they are not emotionally involved. 

If you were an involuntary patient, an understanding of your State Mental Health Act and Chief Psychiatrist standing orders along with a number of other guidelines and legislation will probably be required to substantiate ones case.

@greenpea  thanks. that is horrible of your psychiatrist to say that i dont understand how they can be so cruel and cant they give you another medication if this one is causing you problems. honestly that is ridiculus and offensive it is like they think you cant possibly think for yourself even though you are an adult. it is like you arent even human to them idk i just cant stand when they threaten people with forced treatment it is so inhumane and goes against everything i believe in. 

@Former-Member  i have filled MANY complaints and the department and whole hospital doesnt give a crap. I have also read the entire mental health for the state in which it happened and i have read it more than once and i am not stranger to legal terms as i have family members who are lawyers and i have studied some law myself. i still believe what they did was excessive and unnessecary the problem is a lot of it was verbal and i doubt they wrote in their notes that they called me pathetic, told me to shut the F up, told me i was annoying and a waste of time, and many other things i shouldnt not repeat on this forum. that and they physically injured me one of which is permanant in the process of restraining me. but again they wont have put that in their notes and anyone who is labled crazy is automatically a liar and also wrong about everything because they cant possibly know anything. yes it is very hard to prove and i know i probably wont get what i am looking for but that is partly because of the way the law is set up so that you can have things done to you but they dont specify HOW or what exactly is acceptable. and so cruel people get away with cruel things because of the grey areas. i could rant about this for days but i should stop now. i just hate the stupid system. 

Yeh,its appalling with what they can get away with,we, because we have a mental illness,are negated,we, have no credibility it is our word against theirs and guess who wins. But the tide is turning. Australians are finally seeing sections of the medical community for what they are and the way they have been treating the mentally ill and the disabled . Royal commissions are the catch words at the moment .Support any group or organization that is advocating a R.C. into the disabled and the mentally ill, its not far away. Write to senator Karen Phelps/ The greens and the federal Labor party. In the mean time can you change shrinks. ? If not ,take someone you trust ,with you the next time you go to the psychiatrist. Don't go alone. "May the force be with you."

@jay2  i wish i had your optmisim about reform but all i see is it getting worse and worse. and there have been countless investigations into mental health and all hove come out with terrible results but NOTHING has been done about it. no one actually cares even though people are literally dying no body cares. i think my best bet is to stay as far away as possible even if that means suffering in silence for the rest of my life i dont have any other options i cant risk going there again. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.