Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jenn4
Senior Contributor

highs and lows question

Hi there. I have been recently diagnosed with bipolar (it's only really seriously ramped up in the past 8 weeks or so, but it's been there but much less impeding but increasingly so for about 5 years. So but is new and unfamiliar). 

A doctor said to me that the higher you go (without meds) the lower you go afterwards - is this people's experience? 

Cheers!

codename Jenn

2 REPLIES 2

Re: highs and lows question

@Jenn4  I have bipolar 1 and schizoaffective disorder I hate my meds with a passion due to weight gain and sleepiness  but I take them otherwise my psychiatrist has said she will put me in the public system which means depot injections and hospital visits (both of which I dread). If my meds are not right I slip into mania quickly and go out of it quickly only to fall into it again within 24-48 hours and so on. It is exhausting to experience. 

So to answer your question for me I tend to stay in a state of mania more than crash but when I crash it can be a whole year of sleeping as has happened in the past.

I hope this helps. greenpea xx

Re: highs and lows question

@greenpea wow that's hectic! thanks for sharing

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.