Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Distress Tolerance // Tues 17 July, 7pm AEDT

I find fear one of the hardest ones for me to manage. Anger and sadness (grief probably) are up there also.

I find that I really hate to feel discomfort - or rather I hate feeling ambiguity about things. Having GAD I find it difficult to not know how situations will be resolved as it causes some anxiety and anxious ideation - so I try to relieve the anxious feelings by distracting myself or 'giving in' to the anxiety and trying to problem solve as much as I can.

Yeah also problem wth intense sadness smetmes just manage crying..talking lifeline beyond blue etc hv shower try to eat well ...think of good positive memories images ...

Getting time to exercise is important for me to manage

I used to self medicate - alcohol - to not have to experience these feelings. Not drinking anymore. 

Othertimes I just try and sleep through it all and ignore it.

Doesn't help.

I find when I am experiencing more than one stressor at a time, that is when I can't cope. Another bill on top of an unexpected expense. Frustration my meds aren't working. That constant negative self talk. People (mum) trying to offer advice (when I don't ask for it). Any little thing can become huge in seconds

I struggle with managing distress and it can be difficult in various situations when my buttons get pushed. In certain situations I need to be able to change my state - recently it has been suggested I try- taking a breath, reflecting I am responsible for what I say, acknowledging the feeling, then asking is my state serving me in this moment? If not making a choice to be present and deal with the state later in the day eg if at work - when I get home or during lunch break- not always easy for someone with anxiety - I am willing to try anything

Intense despair, guilt, anxiety, & sometimes (rarely) anger.

I would like to run away from, or avoid all of them - although I know that's supposedly not healthy.

Anger feels cataclysmic - so if someone is angry at me (or even if I'm feeling angry), it seems like the end of the world.

Adge

I'm a parent to 3 small boys and along with the day to day stress of raising children, I've developed quite strong anxiety that I'd like to learn how to manage better.

Noticing the early warning signs that we are headed towards a feeling of distress is such an important part of distress tolerance @HayleyC 

That's so true @CheerBear - learning these skills is such an important part of recovery. And, often that learning continues with every step along that journey. 

Sounds like there's been a whole lot happening for your lately @ladygrace Being proactive rather than reactive, helps us to feel more in control for sure. 

That's an intersting point you raise @Maree11. We all have ways of coping with distress and the key is to replace the strategies that we don't find helpful, with strategies that we do fnd helpful. 

Not at all @BlueBay Great to have you here!

Welcome @Sue1 and @Saski

Pressure at work to do multiple things for multiple people. I can’t think of the name of the feeling. Except AHHHHHH
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.