Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

@suzanne It could do in the future more than now. I am wrapped up in family stuff so it is kind of hidden but should things change yes it is a very real posibility. In any event I would really like to make some friends 🙂

Thanks @suzanne

Hi everyone.

Yes, disconnection sounds like a good way of describing it.

One can be amidst many people & constant activity, & feel very disconnected from it.

I live alone, yet I don't always feel lonely on my own.

Sometimes I feel the most lonely amidst people, especially when demands are being made of me, with no interest shown in me as a person (or who I am).

Adge

Loneliness for me is more a focus of not having a special person in my life.  No partner to come home to and tell him how my day went. 

It's  an intense feeling of missing out on that special connection that other people have

Totally agree with the definition of loneliness. Describes being invisible.

@suzanne wrote:

Good evening everyone.  Welcome to tonight’s Topic Tuesday where we’re going to be discussing loneliness. 

Loneliness is defined as a feeling of disconnection.  It’s not necessarily about being alone, although that can be part of it.  It’s about not feeling seen, heard of valued by the people around you.  That could be your family, neighbours, work colleagues or community.

That's something that most people feel at some point.  But when it becomes chronic, or constant, loneliness can have serious consequences for our health.  And it's becoming an increasing problem. 

It’s estimated that we are twice as lonely now than we were in 1980.  So where 20% of us felt lonely on a regular basis back then, it’s now 40%.  And more than 80% of us believe that the situation is worsening. 

So tonight we’re going to talk about our own experiences of loneliness and the ways we cope and try to address it.   It's a complex problem without easy solutions but let's see where we can get to.

I'd like to welcome @Pinky, @Larns @Sharman @Liss23 @Shaz51 @Jonty8 @Deepsea @Zaphod @MichelleHsu @Former-Member @CheerBear @Teej @TAB @Octopoddie @Ali3 @Former-Member @frog @Abeu @Adge @Former-Member @Sans911 @Chezaray @Snowie @BlueBay @Zoe7 to the discussion.

To start off, how does that definition of loneliness sit with you?  Is that how you experience it?

Loneliness can certainly become more of an issue as we get older @greenpea.  I read that half a million older people in the UK can go almost a whole week without talking to anyone.  But I would imagine that for people living with a mental health concern, that can happen at other times too.  When we just don't have the reserves or interest to interact with people.

Not having family, friends or colleagues to connect with significantly contributes to loneliness

Loneliness for me is more a focus of not having a special person in my life.  No partner to come home to and tell him how my day went. @utopia, @suzanne

sometimes you can still feel loneliness even when you can a partner

Hi @suzanne

loneliness to me is very scary. Even though I’m married I csnt tslk to my hubby or adult kids about my Illness. It’s horrjble having no one listen to me or even ask me how I am. 

Its very very scary. I feel very alone

I can be surrounded by people and still feel very lonely my partner does not show feelings and emotions very well amd it leaves me feeling lonely.we have been through a really rough time and I feel disconnected from many people 

I think for me loneliness is the lack of close and meaningful relationships with people and feeling like you haven't got someone else to share life's ups and downs with.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.