Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Exploring Loneliness // Tues 18 Sep, 7pm AEDT

I think that a lot of us are talking about the quality of our connections.  So we may have a partner, but still feel lonely as we don't feel visible or important to them.  Or the same can be true with regards to our families.

It really only takes one strong connection to help us feel less lonely.  But we're less vulnerable when we have more than that.

I imagine that could be even lonelier @Shaz51@BlueBay. Having a husband but feeling all alone. 

You’re right @suzanne ehen you’re nit included in social stuff with friends you feel alone. Snd then when my depression is very bad I want to be left alone. It doesn’t make sense 

@suzanne I am pretty lucky my ex has said I never have to worry because I will never be alone (I agree with @Adge though as alone is different from lonely) but I know things are getting to be a worry when I look forward to talking with the delivery person as social interaction.

For me, my sense of loneliness gets worse when I am surrounded by people I feel should see me, hear me and value me. When I show myself this kindness, the loneliness lessens. The expectations I project onto others to fill my needs appears to be the reason I feel loneliness to begin with. Now, partner free, I'm choosing to fill my own cup so to speak.

@utopia I want to be able to share things together but I think we are drifting apart when it comes to communication. 

@suzanne I have 1 best friend.  39 years we've  been friends.  But we have zero in common except our history.. I crave the company of people who feel passionate like I do about the environment,  refugees,  politics. 

I think that's very accurate as I'm usually surrounded by people by still feel intense loneliness. Like others don't relate

I can relate to that @greenpea I look forward to going to the shops, for some social interaction.

When the cashiers don't know me, & don't remember me (not so good)...

Adge

I'm so pleased that you've all joined the discussion!  You're definitely visible and valued here 🙂

It's quite sad to read how prevalent loneliness now is.  Does anyone have any thoughts about why loneliness has increased to such an extent?  What's happening within our society?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.