Skip to main content

Support Promote Advocate

for Borderline Personality Disorder

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Loneliness in smaller communities // Tues 26th March, 7pm AEDT

Hi @nashy - skype drops out alot so there is challenges with the viability and the impact it has on really being able to communicate properly.
There is a lack of options for professional support here generally and the community mental health services are overwhelmed from what i can tell here with long waiting lists.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Loneliness in smaller communities // Tues 26th March, 7pm AEDT

@BlueBay Welcome!

giphy.gif

Thank you @BlueBay  and @Former-Member  for mentioning the notion of everyone knowing everyone. It can make it harder to engage in mental health symptoms privately, which can be important as we process what's happening for us. In smaller communities news can travel fast, do you find this to be the case?

Yep definitely @nashy i find gossip news travels very fast around town. And the worst place for gossip is the newsagent !!! 

Hey there @Former-Member  This makes sense. Thank you for sharing, it's easy to forget the luxuries of urban/busier communities in terms of options and access to services. I just want to commend you for pursuing therapy despite the obstacles. Well done Heart

Also @nashy there’s not enough services fir mental health in smaller communities 

The newsagent! So interesting. Why do you think this is? I love this quote @BlueBay:

It also applies to both genders 🙂

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 7.31.49 pm.png

Thanks heaps @BlueBay  @Former-Member  @Former-Member  and everyone else. On to the next question!

For many urban dwellers, work environments can sometimes be a good avenue to new friendships. Does lack of employment influence our social interaction in smaller communities? Do you find limited job opportunities an issue or not so much?

TT-002.gif

Because in our town the newsagent knows everything about everyone @nashy 

ive seen it where people go there and talk to the newsagent about other people from the town

i love the quote but wish I could believe it for me 

I find that some people don't know what to say. It's as though they're torn between speaking and not speaking to me. I don't have a mental illness but since my son's suicide I prefer my own space at home but am fairly consistent with promoting suicide awareness & prevention. Work colleagues stay away, friends have disappeared & all I want is someone to say "hey there. How are You? " People ask normally but when I respond with talking about a new training course or I'm having a down day, they disappear 

Also thanks so much @Former-Member  🙂 And no problem at all. Thank you for stopping by Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

privacy statement | disclaimer | contact | Australian BPD Foundation Limited ABN: 83 163 173 439

We acknowledge and respect the traditional custodians of these ancestral lands. We acknowledge the deep feelings of attachment and relationship of Aboriginal people to country.